Soldering in a tight spot

I’ve got one last thing to fix on my pachinko machine. The lights for a jackpot are broken. I traced the problem to two busted solders. The first is easy. The second not so much.

It’s inside a plastic leaf switch. Normally I’d just replace the switch but I’ve been searching all morning and can’t find anything similar. I’m finding loads for pinball but those are likely a higher rating than the 9v this runs off of. Though it’s hard to tell because a lot don’t provide any details.

So my question is, does anyone have any idea how to figure out the specs on this switch so I can find a replacement? If not does anyone have a good idea how to rig this switch up to work?

Thanks, James

1 Like

I’d just grind/cut away the side to create easy access, solder it, then rebuild the corner with two part epoxy putty. Possiblities:

• Kneaditite aka “Green Stuff”
  • Milliput
  • I’d avoid JBWeld because it has metal particles in it).

Building it back up with layers of CA glue and baking soda is another option: very hard/rigid and can be sanded/filed smooth. Some Zapp CA accelerant would make it faster, but the baking soda makes for a fast set even without it.

The part won’t show, and that corner doesn’t look like it’ll be under a lot of stress.

Milliput would be closer to the original color, if that matters.

2 Likes

Might be able to grind,cut,melt out some of the plastic where that contact blade was thermally staked in, pull it out, solder, then use one of the techniques above to bind it back in.

1 Like

Slide the leaf out, solder it, slide it back in.

2 Likes

3d print a replacement casing and insert the reeds

5 Likes

I can’t, the leaf slides through loops that the wire will not pass through. I’m honestly not sure how they made it in the first place.

In the pic, these look for the world like slits the reeds could pass through if the melty bits closest to the viewer were recut and the reeds were pulled straight up toward the viewer…

3 Likes

Yup a Dremel with a small, thin cutoff wheel would make quick work of that. So might an xacto knife.

3 Likes

Thank you to everyone, I was able to slice through the melt with an exacto as recommend. I was able to then slide it up and out. I resoldered it and a couple other thin spots. The lights work great now.

I’ll post a video when I have it all cleaned up nice.

7 Likes

Congrats on getting it up & running, and repairing rather than replacing! I’d like to see the video once you have it ready.

It’s quick and shakey, l will take a better video soon

1 Like