Soldering advice? (Wacom)

Hey so I am looking into repairing a Wacom Intuos 5 Touch, and I think the only problem with getting it running is the charging port. I have done some minor soldering before, but the pins look really close together so I was wondering if there was an easier way to solder them without soldering the pins to each other?

It looks like the pads are missing in the bottom picture, which takes it from not to bad to difficult.

If the pads were there, you could stick the connector in place with the outer two large pads, apply a bit of flux to the leads/pads, and with a small amount of solder on the iron drag the tip across the leads and it’ll solder them in place, and as long as you didn’t have too much solder they won’t bridge.

With the pads gone, you can still stick the connector in place like before (though you might need superglue…), but you’ll need to scrape the green soldermask off the traces and either use enough solder to jump from the lead to the trace or use a tiny tiny piece of wire to bridge the gap.

Allen sometimes gets a kick out of this stuff.

EEEK. All the pads are gone. You’ll need to epoxy down some new ones to make it work.

Can you be up at DMS tomorrow between 6 and 9PM? I’ll be up there and can help you with it.

Pads?

I will be up there for a class that’s 7pm to 9pm. I can try to get there at 6:30pm but I don’t think I can get there sooner?

Or is this the pads?

Yep, the copper bits that are stuck to all the leads on the USB connector. They pulled up from the board when it broke.

Ah thank you for the explanation.

Use the digital microscope in the Electronics Lab to really look at the situation before you try to repair it. If you do not feel good working with surface mount devices and tiny connections, then I would suggest to have someone else that is trained to repair it.

That should work