Software request

Someone feel free to move this topic to another category if this is not the correct one.

Do DMS members have JUMP access to a software called ExactFlat? It is used in conjunction with Fusion 360 to take contoured CAD bodies and create a flat pattern for them to be cut out with CNC programs capable of .dxf… This would be an incredibly useful tool to use for the lasers…If we do not have access, how do I put in a request for us to get a license?

What’s the name of the software used to make faceted surfaces for objects used in paper folding in CA? It creates a flat pattern.

Pepakura.

Free downloadable demo/viewer software found here
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/download/index.html

Looks like a recent update added/improved .SVG file output (with a specific mention of Inkscape compatibility), which they didn’t have in the past.

2 Likes

Thanks for reference. Free is a lot better than this. Seems optimized for SolidWorks.

Well, the free version doesn’t let you save files after editing, but you only have to pay $38 to own it.

Well worth it IMHO, I bought it 5+ years ago and the license has been good for the entire time throughout all of the updates they have done.

2 Likes

You can save items directly from F360 to dxf. I will make parts in it individually, then assemble each together to be sure they fit. Then go back to the individual part to save it as a DXF.

3 Likes

Exactflat seems designed for contoured objects, and generating fabric cut patterns. Their favorite example is a bicycle seat.

Fusion 360 can export faces as dxf.
Fusion 360’s new sheet metal feature works for many 3d models and generates 2d cut files.
Pepakura many meet your needs.

Back to your main question: how to request software purchases/installs for the makerspace.
Software for general use usually goes thru Infrastructure. @StanSimmons runs this. Software for specific uses usually goes thru a sponsoring committee. As much information you can obtain helps our volunteers decide.
This is my suggestion, not official policy.
Make a case for the software:

1. Description of Features and uses
  2. User base - who would benefit from it?
  3. Costs. Single license vs site or seat license? Jump server support?
  4. Training - who would provide training, if it is needed?

Example. I want to request software for the Silhouette Cameo. This tool is used for vinyl, heat press vinyl, and paper cuts, among other uses. (I actually need to research this a little more, as one friend reports). We currently have the Basic Design version.

1. Software Request: The Basic Design version does not support SVG or PDFs. The Designer version does. The business version supports Adobe Illustrator files and Embroidery files, and exports to SVG, PDF, JPG. An extensive list of other useful features is charted here: https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software/silhouette-studio-features-comparison-chart
  2. Users: Users of the Cameo in creative arts. Expanding the power of the tool is icrease it’s abilities and bring in more users. The software also has design features, like Warping. Some members have their own Silhouette Cameos, but do not have the more advanced/expensive software. This would benefit them too.
    Additional benefits & users: The designs can be saved and exported to use with other tools, such as the Lasers and Shapeoko.
  3. Cost: $99 for the business edition. This upgrades the software currently installed on the one PC in Creative Arts.
  4. Training: I am willing to provide Train-the trainer, and 2 general use classes.
1 Like

I evaluated ExactFlat for a project a number of years ago, I am sure they have improved since then but I don’t see the value in the tool.

If you look at the way ExactFlat works it just generates a triangle mesh of your model and and flattens each triangle onto one plane. This is the exact same operation that Pepakura uses.

If you want some more granular control over how the model is unfolded take a look this Sketchup Plugin: https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/flatten-faces

1 Like