So How Long Does It Take

to charge a battery? This one has been charging since Tuesday of last week (10/17/2017). Time to take it home.

Pleas remove ASAP or it may end up on the exchange shelf or lost and found.

2 Likes

Is that a car battery or smaller in size?

Car battery. 123456789

1 Like

Re-charging a car battery in the lab!? Auto, No?

It isn’t mine, but I do know the story behind it. Although I’m surprised to learn no one actually got permission to put it there. It belongs to Joe King. I see him here a few times a week. I have no idea how long he intended to leave it on the charger. I’ll talk to him.

It’s not just being charged. It’s undergoing an equalization/desulfation charge. So it’s not a case of someone just forgetting about it. This is something you can do for days or longer.

Automotive doesn’t have a charger that can do this. I won’t say this is an excellent thing to do, especially without talking to Art first, however I would say it’s more or less the least unexcellent way I can think of to accomplish this particular task at the space. I tried and failed to think of an alternative to offer.

Someone said it was Allen’s battery. Also that is had been there for days trying to get it to take a charge. Completely not an appropriate place since it can leak acid and/or vent hydrogen gas.

Allen said it was Joe’s.

Of course it’s venting hydrogen but the quantitiy is orders of magnitude too small to worry about.

Fortunately it doesn’t appear to have any cracks or holes, so acid shouldn’t be expected to just spontaneously fall out.

This is the case because the charging power is limited to around 15 watts by the power supply. Although even if some fool cranked it up as high as it goes, I’m still not sure it would be enough power to release acid or meaningful quantities of hydrogen. It’s a super weak charger compared to an actual battery charger or especially an alternator.

Allen and I both had ample opportunity to put a stop to this if we felt it was unsafe. We did not, even after due consideration.

1 Like

Not sure what we are talking about, but I’ll do it!

3 Likes

Unfortunately you are not the chair of the committee. He said to remove it ASAP. Our discussions about the various issues around it don’t matter in this case.

1 Like

I think that matter was closed when I volunteered to relay the message to Joe. The remaining discussion consists of you and a few others raising ostensibly valid concerns about the safety of this member’s activities and I wanted to make sure that these concerns are addressed both because Joe isn’t here to defend himself and because this discussion has the capacity to set a precedent concerning future such activities.

wrong. the matter is NOT closed until it is removed. If it has been removed then great.
and ANY member has a valid right to raise safety concerns - ostensible or not.
I’m not even part of that department. If it is in the building I have a right to ask, Is this safe? If you relayed the message then let me say thank you. But don’t get butt hurt over questions on safety. Safety will always win even if it means dumpstering that battery.

1 Like

Maybe closed wasn’t the best word. To be clear, I wanted to shut down any notion that I was challenging Art while also insisting that I feel our continued discussions about safety do indeed matter and are certainly worthy of being the new subject of this thread.

2 Likes