Slumped bottles from 2022/01/17

4 Likes

Yes, that white spot in the middle of the middle bottle is an enormous bubble. It’s possible that if we re-fire that it will collapse and fill in. I’ll wait to talk to the person before I do that, though.

We used the Delphi bottle-slumping schedule, and it really looks like (to me) that it was just a bit too much. While that’s probably good on the 2 molds on the right, because that’s the 2-part relish tray mold, and a pretty thorough melt means the bottles got thoroughly into shape, the one on the left is over-done. The bottle is beginning to turn into a puddle and has lost some of its bottle shape.

We couldn’t find any holes in the bottle molds, and I’m thinking that I might dig up our Dremel and drill a couple of holes with our tiniest bit.

Should I drill holes in the three part mold that my Kahlua bottle is in?

It is currently in the kiln. I just haven’t gotten back there tonight to unload. And it was random. The 2 on each end had no bubble problems, and the one in the center had a huge bubble that Just Didn’t Quite Work Through.

Would the fact that the one with the bubble we had just painted with kiln wash have anything to do with the bubble? I was worried that the kiln wash was still somewhat damp and might get trapped (although it was closer to the bottom of the bottle than where that bubble is).

Well, they were all pretty fresh. I may kiln wash all the molds that we might use for the next class early, just in case that’s the issue. I believe that the bubble is because it melted down at the edges before the center collapsed. I suspect that maybe 5 minutes more in the “bubble squeeze” ramp might have fixed it. The squeeze ramp hold was rather short.