Slip casting class finally scheduled

I just submitted a slip casting class for 3/31. Here’s the description.

Here, I’ll show you how to slip cast with either molds I’ve made or molds you bring. I’ll cover marbling surfaces and brushing slip as well as finishing rims and removing seams.

Slip casting is a simple process that, relative to other ceramic techniques, is rather hands-off. The trade off there is that it can be time consuming. The basic process involves pouring liquid clay (slip) into a plaster mold, waiting, pouring the slip out, waiting again, then removing the firm object from the mold. The molds I have prepared hold liquid slip for an hour, then set for at least four hours. If you don’t wait long enough the second time, the cast won’t be able to support itself, and if you wait too long, it’ll probably crack and cutting the rim will be too difficult. Consider your available time.

The first are completed examples of textures. The photo are bone dry examples of what can be made in the molds I will bring. The colors brighten when fired.

I have a limit of three because I have three molds, but if you have your own mold, please let me know and you can attend. (Still gotta pay though)

8 Likes

I’m so excited for this class, Toussaint is a fabulous artist and Maker. His work is excellent and he has a very cool approach to mold making!

1 Like

Patiently waiting for it to show up on the schedule :hushed:

Bumping because it’s on the calendar now. The class costs $10 now because of the initial amount of stuff that had to be purchased, but as I continue doing these, it’ll decrease a bit each time. My “cool approach” to making plaster molds is I hate plaster. I planned on making about five molds of the same object (the round one I posted above), but I really don’t like doing the setup: embedding the object half-way in clay, pouring half of the mold, cleaning out the clay, then pouring the other half to make a single negative mold. So I made silicone positives. To make another mold I don’t have any setup, just pour the plaster into the silicone molds. I stole the process from Curt Hammerly.

3 Likes

Would it help to do a mold making class and leave some at the space for slip ones?

3 Likes

I meant to post that earlier
I would love to add some hump molds when we have
more room

The wheel and I are not friends despite best efforts to build that relationship. Even though I own a large motorized kick wheel…which I should probably sell so I can get something I’d actually use. I don’t imagine making a hump mold is too different from sprig and slip though.

I do need to learn the kiln box or trot mine up so we can do some enameling and fusing

1 Like

My molds aren’t the prettiest, so if you can make nice molds that’d be great

Haha it’s about the only thing I tolerate plaster for since I’m apparently allergic. I’ll be out of the cage here soon and can priority it. Working with Preval and Jacquard right now to get a class set up on indoor aerosol too.

I dig these ideas! One note though, we currently have limited room for molds, especially large ones, when they aren’t queued up for an impending class. This will be changing soon once we tackle the large wedging table redesign but we aren’t quite there yet. Molds that you make, store at home, and bring up to the space for classes/events/shindigs are A++.