Slingfest 2017 Announcement

The granularity of 1/4" or smaller would make for easier handling, albeit at the expense of more cutting.

Plus, welding the multiple plates together only on the outside, may not be strong enough. Perhaps creating slots in the body of the plates and placing them offset while welding to the next plate may solve that issue.

With 1/4" plate, maybe only need 4 or 5 plates per round? At maybe 18" diameter, each round might weigh in the 100-150 lb range? Not sure how heavy 1/4" plate is at these dimensions, but it always seems heavier than it looks. Sure can adjust sizing and multiples to get the weight per round that is optimal, etc…

FYI some scrap pricing of buying steel the last time I checked was .40-.50 a lb. The yard I frequent or used to anyway, usually has 1/4, 1/2" about 2ft diameter scrap remnants.

Just wanted to toss this out there for posterity:
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/trebuchet-sig-2016-build-season-over/12213
Perusing this should help with what it is, where it is, what is current condition is, etc.
Is @Bill going to be assisting with espionage attending the meetings @ TheLab.ms?

2 Likes

I just received word from Tommy that they are unable to do slingfest this year.

He will release an official cancellation notice soon.

I will see if they intend to continue with next year’s event, I’d hate to see our Pegasus rust away in storage

Might you be thinking of a woman that recently acquired a Pick-up with a lift gate that formerly resided at the back of the Space?
@uglyknees

If they decide they are going to let the project lap, would there be any interest in seeing if DMS sponsors it?

Wondering, if you were sell a used trebuchet, what category on Craigslist would be under?

1 Like

Any reason why? Did the city not like it?

Or could they not get insurance affordably?

1 Like

I have not been over there in awhile, but last year’s event was bigger than anyone expected and probably outgrew the park they used.

I do know that some of them heaved a sigh of relief when Pegasus broke because they were afraid that we would hit the street when we were using full power.

Here’s Tommys response as to, why.

“The issue is that critical efforts didn’t get started early enough. The plan for next year is to start early (February, or earlier timeframe)”

They fully plan to have it in hand next year.

3 Likes

If the problem is not insurance, I think it would be the perfect thing for
us to sponsor

At the least we can do our own punkin chunkin

1 Like

I saw pumpkin chumkin on TV and would love to participate. It sounds awesome.

Who’s got land they wouldn’t mind people tromping on for a maker festival?

1 Like