Slab Roller Canvas

Hi All
I had thought we had decided that canvas was not safe to wedge on because of covid, which is why we covered the canvas part of the slab roller table. Therefore I have removed the canvas used to roll clay out. There is no way to sanitize it. I will put a note on it tomorrow, but for the future, please bring your own canvas or sheets to roll out your clay. Thanks, April

April I don’t think that the roller will work with just a sheet. I think the canvas is needed to grip the roller to move the clay. I agree we can’t really sanitize it but believe the guidelines say to bring your own cloth to help with this.

If we take away the canvas for this I think we are in essence saying no slab rolling. Can we make this an exception to the canvas rule and a use at your own risk?

2 Likes

What are the dimensions if we wanted to grab some canvas at Joann’s and make our own to bring? I want to do some slab rolling, but haven’t come by because of the canvas rule.

1 Like

Do other committees have a rule like that? I mean, really any tool at DMS could be use at your risk during this time. I took the canvas off because i thought in one of our meetings, we said it should not be used so we took it off at the beginning and then someone put it back. I have rolled out clay with our canvas that is just normal canvas type material from hobby lobby. It works :+1: But if y’all want to take chances and feel comfortable sharing and not sanitzing…then I can put it back… :v:

2 Likes

I would say no wider than 2 feet :+1:

I vote for keeping it. I’ll just make sure I wash my hands before I touch my face. 20 seconds…

1 Like

It work really well with towels and various fabrics.

I roll 25 pound of clay about a week ago. It worked great.

1 Like

I mentioned to Steve last week that he was the only person I had seen bring his own cloth.

Should we designate a slab table for wedging clay only, until we can figure something else out?

If we are making exceptions seems wedging on canvas should be allowed as well. Sanitized before after at own risk obv

2 Likes

I vote it goes, to much of a heath risk.
Please respect the Covid rules. They are there for everyone’s safety.

1 Like

There is no way canvas can be sanitized unless the whole thing is put into a washing machine. Bring your own fabric seems a simple quick fix for the roller.

1 Like

I understand that you’ve got some serious health issues, and I respect that you would want to use your own stuff. However, most of the information that’s being sent around currently (by hospitals and CDC) says that the main issue (for those of us with functioning immune systems) is being sure that your hands are thoroughly clean before you touch your mucus membranes (nose, mouth, etc.)

Perhaps we can just put up some good signage? That will let those who aren’t up on the current plan know that they should be careful about hand washing?

I was thinking about this early on when I was grocery shopping, and picking up fruit, etc. No way was that stuff sanitized, so I just made sure I washed my hands well.

I’ve also read recently that the airlines aren’t going to keep cleaning fabric surfaces, because fabric isn’t a big vector for the virus. Hard surfaces that are touched a lot by a lot of people – yes. Fabric seats and walls – no.

2 Likes

I do bring my own cloth to roll between the canvas. I vote to keep the slab rolling cloth which is different than the canvas on the table.

Especially until folks have time to go and get canvas for their own purposes

2 Likes

I also vote we keep the canvas. Members are already practicing personal responsibility and we take the risk every time we come in. We’ve already gone this far without any issues.

I do think it’s appropriate and respectful to place signage saying “cannot be sanitized, use at your own risk and continue practicing personal responsibility.”

3 Likes

Trinity sells rolling mats, that you should be able to sanitize I would think :man_shrugging:t2:

If we start adopting an at your own risk policy, we won’t be open long imo.

1 Like

I have one of those slabmats and I don’t think it will work well for the slab roller… I think it’s for if you’re rolling with a rolling pin. Because they are stiff and can’t really bend and if they do they get all creasy…

2 Likes

Could we ask people to use gloves for this?

1 Like

Simmer down there potters. You guys do know they sell normal canvas fabric at Hobby Lobby, and Joanns. It works just fine. The canvas that we were using is the same thing. There was nothing special about it except the edges were sewn.

2 Likes

Ceramics:

Classes will not be held in the ceramics area. When DMS has determined that classrooms may be utilized, you may do so within the social distancing guidelines.

Ceramics 100 classes are suspended for the time being and/or until classes resume. Any member who has not taken ceramics 100 should familiarize themselves with the rules published on the wiki and the rules below before utilizing the space.

1. No free clay will be provided - bring your own clay; the free clay bin will not be available
  2. Bring your own plastic for covering your pieces if needed for the in progress shelf
  3. Do not move other peoples work on the in progress shelf.
  4. Do not wedge or work on the canvas section of the slab table unless you are working on your own sheet/board. The canvas cannot be reliably sanitized without damaging the surface. Until the restrictions are lifted the canvas will be covered with plastic sheet.
  5. Wedging clay must be done on stone or plaster tables.
  6. Any tool or ceramics item that can be taken to the sink must be washed with soap and water after use; i.e. wheel trays, throwing and hand tools, glaze brushes, etc…
  7. Wipe down all surfaces with a disinfectant wipe that could not be washed in the sink; i.e. wheel surfaces, on/off button, workstation table.

If you are bringing pieces to the Ware shelves to get ready for firing or picking up after firing, please ensure that you keep your distance from other members or kiln firing team members who may be working.

From a previous meeting. Canvas is canvas. If one cannot be sanitized, then the other cannot be sanitized…is that not true?

1 Like

The gloves do not work. You touch a contaminated surface with gloves and then touch your mucous membranes you get the same dose of Covid as if you were not wearing gloves. Gloves work for doctors because they change them in between patients so they do not infect the next patient.

1 Like

I would suggest buying duck canvas med-hvy weight. 12oz Some of the confusion of “special canvas” lies in sourcing the correct weights, and weave for the purpose.

*Anything in Heavy cotton should work tho.

1 Like