Six Sigma Refunds

It has come to the attention of the Dallas Makerspace that the Six Sigma classes that were offered by Deirdre Havens were incorrectly represented as having been affiliated with and endorsed by the Management Science & Innovation (MSI). The Dallas Makerspace has retained an attorney to assist in handling this matter. All Six Sigma class fees that were collected through the Dallas Makerspace will be refunded upon request.

8 Likes

I questions about this, as I sure everybody who has been through the training has as well. I received a certificate with ā€œMSI; Management Science & Innovationā€, and states that I have completed all the requirements to become a Six Sigma Green Belt. Is this worth the paper it is printed on? Am I actually certified? Was the whole thing a fraud? A bit of background color would be appreciated here.

Thanks,

Nick

1 Like

Sorry, Management Science & Innovation is the correct organization, I have updated the post.

/dev/random: Is this the same attorney referenced in the ad-hoc board meeting on 11-12-2015?

Yes it is , blah blah 20 characters

1 Like

So now that we know why the attorney was retained, can we find out who the attorney was and if their fees were also ultimately paid for by Ms. Havens?

Probably like some of you, I did some google-fu to find out anything about Ms. Havens, who appears to have committed some sort of fraud or other infringement of which we know very littleā€¦ I, however, donā€™t want to dox, witchhunt, or otherwise speculate. Is there any other information DMS can tell us? Where the complaint originated from? What is DMS on the hook for (aside from a number of refunds)?

Edit: sorry Walter, canā€™t switch who I replied to, this reply has little to do with your post.

They probably would if they could, however an attorney is involved so maybe itā€™s best they donā€™t?

2 Likes

Please do not speculate on anything.

Please also remember where you are and we are ultimately dealing with peoples lives here.

I would ask that you respect the privacy of Ms. Havens.

I will touch on a few things that I know to be true and there really is nothing more that needs to be said.

1. The certificates that were given out were not represented by MSI
  2. DMS will be paying for the refunds out of the general fund.
6 Likes

Hence why I asked what they could tell us, as I would assume the original statement by Andrew was advised or otherwise reviewed by said attorney.

Thanks for the info, Robert. That is pretty much the extent of what I wanted to know.

The only thing Robert added that Andrew didnā€™t already state wasā€¦ [quote=ā€œRobert_Davidson, post:9, topic:6972ā€]
DMS will be paying for the refunds out of the general fund.
[/quote]

Since I have to have 20 characters: I think it is pretty obvious why someone would want to know where the money is coming from.

Robert, were the class fees paid to DMS or the instructor?

1 Like

There are apparently a lot of different organizations that offer six sigma ā€˜certificationā€™, what raised this as a problem?

When you pay for a class at the space, you pay the space. Then after the class is held, the space pays the instructor

1 Like

@PearceDunlap

I dont believe that is always the case. If the instructor uses their own event brite account, the funds go directly to them. The funds only go through the space if you use the spaces event brite account. At least that was how it was explained to me.

This is correct, however the Six Sigma classes went through DMSā€™s EventBrite account.

Thanks Brooks, that explains this.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been looking for Ms. Havens for a year now regarding a debt owed to me. If anyone can contact me if they know her location and or attorney, I would appreciate it.

I am afraid we (Board of Directors) do not have accurate contact information for Deirdre Havens. There is nothing I can forward you.

If you are seeking reimbursement for a Six Sigma Class that you took through Deirdre (and paid her directly), the Dallas Makerspace is willing to reimburse providing you can provide us evidence of payment (a cancelled check for example).

This link is reference to the Dallas Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting, where the reimbursement was approved:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20160119#Approve_reimbursements_for_Six_Sigma_Class_fees_.28Benjamin_Groves.29

Below is an emailed excerpt that explains the reimbursement process, as well as the Google form that we require for tracking:

It has come to the attention of the Dallas Makerspace that the Six Sigma classes that were offered by Deirdre Havens were incorrectly represented as having been affiliated with and endorsed by the Management and Strategy Institute (MSI). The Dallas Makerspace has retained an attorney to assist in handling this matter. All Six Sigma class fees that were collected through the Dallas Makerspace will be refunded upon request.

Here is the link to process the refund.

http://goo.gl/forms/L1UDOfX8tM

We appreciate your understanding in this matter,

Robert Davidson
Dallas Makerspace Director

I hope this helps.