Simultaneous Printer Use Rules

Disclaimer: With so many printers down I would not want to use more than one at the moment.

I’m working on a project that needs a lot of copies of a part. I plan on doing more than one per bed, but it’s going to be an hour and half print. I’d like to be able to use more than one printer on a weekday morning when no one else is is normally around and use seems uncommon.

Most of the training indicates only one printer can be used by a user at a time (Rule 7.)

https://learn.dallasmakerspace.org/course/view.php?id=2

But then there is the source
https://source.dallasmakerspace.org/display/3DFAB/Area+Rules
(See item 4)

and this sign:

I’m inclined to believe the source rules and the sign reinforces this belief, but I don’t want to be biased by the answer I want.

If I show up at 3 AM and somebody’s using that entire row to print out a seven-piece Abe Lincoln statue, then I’d send them a text, give them the hour and then pick a print to cancel. If they printed him at 100% infill, the print is almost done and I somehow manage to ruin it anyway, they’d be out about $30*.
The real damage is to that person’s self-esteem, because I undermined their work and caused emotional damage. But that’s why we have rules and policies, that way people can have realistic expectations.
*I know we price our filaments at $100/kg, but it would take so long to print the entire kg you could get one shipped in the meantime.

1. After an hour of job completion another user can remove your print.

I don’t think that’s what the rule says. I think the rule says if someone’s job is already completed, then one hour later you may remove it.

Follow the sign.

Did I interpret it correctly?

That is correct

1 Like

I believe this is the intent, but I think a strict interpretation of the sentence is that if the job has been running an hour, you can remove it. Not what I’d like to see.

We can argue over interpretation, but the fact that the argument exists is an indication that a revision is merited. I believe that “Another user may remove your print an hour after the print job completes.” is less subject ambiguous interpretation.

At the risk of further complication I’d also like to see a notification attempt trigger a timer, probably of shorter duration.

I think for Rule 4, not just available but also in working condition as a matter of courtesy

The rules shown in the learn.dallasmakerspace.org were changed by the committee after the learn class was posted.

The sign and source are more recent and take precedence.
I don’t have access to edit the class notes.