Silver Solder Source

Figured I’d post this in the Jewelry forum as you guys might have a lead on this.

I’m looking for just a little bit of high silver content solder. Ideally 90/10 Tin/Silver. Not having much luck finding it outside of the Grainger / McMaster catalog and there they sell it by the pound for about $160 :anguished:

I do have some VERY high silver content solder premixed with flux (paste) but the label says it has some trace cadmium in it so I’m hesitant to use it for the beer brewing setup I’m making.

Would be willing to trade my solder for yours

1 Like

I have some silver solder in a package at home - bought it about 10 years ago - I’ll find out the percentage tonight once I leave work.

I have several sheets of silver solder in various temperatures. Your welcome to some, but this is high temperature jewler’s solder (1200-1400 deg F and not really the 90/10 ratio your looking for.

For jewelers solder like this I get it from https://www.riogrande.com/ but for what your looking for you may want to call some of the local welding supply shops for more reasonable quantities. Actually for 90/10 Tin/Silver I think I have seen small quantities of that at Home Depot/Lowes

What are you needing it for? To make brewing items? I use 45% for work, sometimes I have used 55%. Also it’s sold by the Troy ounce. It is not cheap like 45$ a Troy ounce the last time I bought it. If you need some I have give you some of mine.

Yeah, I’m soldering a SS flange to a copper pipe and everything I read suggests 10% or better solder with stand-alone flux.

Easy peasy. I don’t like using the flux coated rod since it pops so much. I can give you a stick of 45% if you want it. I’ll have to check my flux to see if it’s even any good but I have added water to it in the past.

I suspect you need Stay Brite (or Stay Brite 8, which fills larger gaps) silver solder. Both are 96% Sn, 4% Ag. You can read about them on the Harris product site; you can download their detailed guide to brazing and soldering as well.

Micromark carries Stay Brite (including the correct liquid flux). I suspect you need paste flux, which you can also find on the Harris site.

1 Like

Would definitely appreciate any of it you have. While I don’t think I can technically trade you beer for it. I’m sure I’ll have some extra next batch (the one we’re making this Saturday - that will be ready in a few weeks after that)

I’ll stop by the space tomorrow morning & leave some sticks of silver solder & flux in my storage box.

Sweet! Appreciate that. Roughly where is your box located?

I’m in Baltimore and ‘should’ be bringing a plane back tomorrow or Saturday if the weather sucks.

I’ll grab it at my first opportunity.

Thanks,
Ian

Last time I saw it, it was to the right & just over midway up. It’s moved mysteriously at least once.

I had some delays on my end & just dropped a new bottle of flux & 2 45% sticks.

I just grabbed the two sticks and the flux earlier… I’m going to try and do one of the joints on Thursday when I’m back in Dallas between trips. If not… it’ll be Sunday or Monday… I’ll let you know :slight_smile:

What do I owe you?

Don’t worry about it. Let me know if you need a hand with the soldering