Silkscreen - read up peoples

I know everyone has been chomping at the bit for silkscreen.
While it might seem easy to bust out at the space it took a few things to get going before it could be ordered. Everything is a dance around here everything.

@Double-D and @talkers are working to finish a cart for screen drying. It’s 90% done. If you want to help please let either of them know (although I think Devin is now in San Antonio) it needs some simple welding for the fan/switches and some light finishing touches.

I ordered a total of 20 screens to begin with. They will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I must count on members to PAY for the screens or we will go fat broke. When the “silkscreen team” met we agreed on a $35 price tag for classes that will include your own screen (mesh size of your choosing based on need) emulsion for one screen and two pieces of inkjet film for your image.

With the annex not being complete and a busted printer I didn’t see the need for the screens to be purchased and stagnate. It’s a significant investment buying the screens I assure you and locks up a large % of money until classes get rolling. It makes me sweat to be honest.

I’m worried about not being here to police the screens. I’m giving them over to the care to @Photomancer. I intend to have them stored in the CA room ontop of the rolling carts in clear view of the camera. Forgive my worry - its more expensive than all the furniture I bought for the space. This CC is burning in my hand this month.

I know PR and woodshop have requested screens. You need to pay for them as well. via an email to finace. @Team_PR @Team_Woodshop

Classes can begin as soon as @Hardsuit Astrud is ready to roll them out or anyone else who knows how to burn screens begins teaching them.
If you are aware of how to burn your own screens and you want to forgo the classes let’s talk.

2 Likes

Glad I read this thread to find out I’m the custodian.

Tell me how many want and pick them up when they get here - otherwise first come first served.
/s/ Keeper and Protector of the Screens

You’re not a janitor. You’re the best man for the job for sure. They are getting delivered next week Tuesday or Wednesday. You’re more a bouncer in my eyes.

Reserve me one. I’ll pay for it out of Nichole’s CA change. Just Kidding :wink:

1 Like

Translation: easiest person to dragoon into doing her bidding. She even gives pats on head. :smile:

5 Likes

you can delegate it out to someone else. I just wanted to give you co-chair control :slight_smile: sorry if you felt blindsided. I’m not trying to be evil. I just need someone to do it because I will be gone.

I accepted the task, you knew that when you said it.

I’ll take a screen. Question though? How are we squaring this with the class and other items?

Great deal, thanks!

I’m sorry but I don’t quite understand what you mean by “squaring” like paying for it with the square?

Funny, I’d not thought of that tie in! I mean are we paying $35 for a screen now or is it later at class time when you get emulsion, film, etc? Pay now, show receipt later? Something else? No biggie, just confused me.

I would like three. How can I pay for them?

Ok :nerd_face: Gotcha now.

If you need to take a class to learn how to silkscreen I advise you to wait on the class and pay for it via the login process. If you know how to expose a screen/use the exposure unity and just need a screen I don’t believe you need to wait and you can pick one up after paying on the square.

It’s not all that hard. I’m new to the exposure unit so I’m going to teach myself that when I get back.

So we had a bit of a wait on this and the rollout is all on the backs of volunteers. So I hope everyone is ok with the process and I do promise you will be printing soon.

2 Likes

I think a lot of us have taken the old silkscreen class, it’s the exposure unit/process that’s new and exciting!

2 Likes

I agree! I’m excited that this is up and moving.
We need more teachers so if ANYONE can assist with finding more please shake the tree and get them here. I’m going to bug our silkscreening neighbors again to see if I can find a few people to teach.

I think this is going to vastly change the landscape of what people make. Now it’s a bit more turnkey. It was great before but now it’s amped up.

Both myself and my girlfriend Angela would like to take a class. I would probably need 4 screens. For 4 different designs. No clue on how to make this happen. I have the money to pay but with the limited amount of screens I wanted to insure I had a few of them. Let me know how to pay, what to do, or how I can help.

I haven’t been at the space in a while but I am gearing up my furniture making and will probably be there twice a week from now on. I missed y’all.

Jeff

Are they $35 just for the screen or $35 class including the screen, emulsion and class? I’d like a few screens and to see if the screens I already have would work in the existing system. What are the dimensions and the mesh count?

Is there anyway the exposure unit can be stored with the rest of the silkscreen equipment? Where it is currently, I’ve discovered and dissuaded one member already from using it as tracing lightbox and directed them to the proper equipment.

Perhaps we could come up with a screen price and sell some out of class, then use proceeds to get another order going …

I’m very interested in taking the class and buying a screen. Can you reuse a screen multiple times?

A design on a screen can be used to make hundreds of shirts.

Designs can be washed out and new designs can be applied.

If you will be reusing the design often, it would be worthwhile it dedicate a screen to it.

The frames ordered are aluminum and will last. The screen mesh may tear. Over time, it will stretch and lose tension. They can be sent in and restretched for a fee.

I did look at Devin’s cart today and will work on it in the next few days.

2 Likes