Silhouette Cameo I need training on it

I understand we have one of these I would love to use it to cut patterns for the
rolling mill, but I need training on it

I can meet with someone most any time from noon to 3-4 am, just let me know when

Thanks

I have one given to me, not a clue how to use it. A class would be great.

1 Like

@steve
@mreynolds

10aa90c7fab8fafd82abfeefdde4ceec--bat-signal-batman-logo

2 Likes

Let me ask @missydee1206 about upgrading the software to the business edition so it can use SVG files, and I’ll teach on it’s use.

4 Likes

Thanks, if I can learn to cut patterns, It is likely that we will have
folks wanting to use it for rolling mill patterns

1 Like

I’m late in seeing this because I only recently joined DMS, but I have a silhouette cameo 2. I’m still learning the more advanced techniques, but I’d be willing to teach a class on the basics. Should I just create a syllabus or something?

2 Likes

That would be wonderful I would love to take your class

Re submitting a class
Kudos for being willing to teach! I’d start with reading up on the full process on the link below. I also think it’s good etiquette to run a class past the department chair (@missydee1206) on completely new stuff.

Generally, if you structure things to qualify for honorarium, you get $50 (or can donate to a department) and the department benefits by receiving $50 as well (which funds tools and such). That basically means submitting 240hrs/10days ahead, it’s approved (well, not denied), have minimum of three registered in attendance, and submit attendance within 24hrs.

And to be clear, you don’t HAVE to do honorarium requirements, but if you do, it is a way to benefit and give back to a department, and helps fund tools and consumables.

I would recommend checking out the setup (cameo/computer) so you know what you’re dealing with, then work up what you want to cover in class, then write a detailed description (can kinda be the syllabus) for when you submit the class.

If you need help with anything, lemme know. I’m in ca often on tues nights (fiberarts), or pm me.

Here’s link to the teaching info. Be sure to read thoroughly. It’s not that complicated, but it’s fairly unforgiving on the three points re honorariums that I mentioned above.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/teach/

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll read up and follow the steps. I’ll need a bit of time to set up a syllabus and decide what needs to be in the basics class anyway, so there’s time to take care of whatever needs taken care of.

2 Likes

Oh, and count me as another interested person when you offer the class :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anybody know if there are currently any fees associated with use of the Silhouette cameo? Obviously materials (paper, cardstock, etc.), but the blades, cutting mats, and pens are technically consumables. Is there any charge for use of these items?

Re cameo consumables
@missydee1206 or @mreynolds can answer that

1 Like

We don’t have any working pens currently, but yes those pieces are technically consumables, however we don’t currently ask members to donate for replacing anything unless major damage is caused to them. Which is really hard to do.

Also interested in a class, though there is no rush. I have made a couple of simple cut outs through self-teaching and haven’t broken anything yet, but am interested in using the machine a bit more.

Is there anything we need to order before we hold classes or if the use will increase?

I might suggest that people interested in using this machine order their own blades. Nothing worse that driving to DMS to use a machine that has no blade, or possibly worse, a dull one.

try http://www.bridgecutters.com . I’ve never bought from them but my craft queen sister found this website.

2 Likes

I’d also suggest getting your own cutting mat. They’re like $10, and then you have control over how sticky yours is. Straight out of the packaging they’re waaaaaay too sticky and will rip most paper/cardstock.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I’m still working on getting a syllabus together, but things have gotten very personally busy for me at the moment. Currently I anticipate that my first availability to do a class is likely mid-April. Sorry for the delay!

3 Likes

I have a used one my sister gave e when she upgraded. So I would love to get into a class. I need to know how to get started.

We really need a class on it