Sign language class?

Does anyone run an ASL course I am really wanting to learn, but i don’t see any class for it?

1 Like

http://mashable.com/2014/04/21/how-to-sign/

So is there no chance of a class for this? I mean that guy is cool and I apprieciate site but I feel like I would do alot better in person.

Are on auto reply lol

We’ve been having an ASL class on the schedule…next looks to be Fri sept22. I’ve seen it on Mondays sometimes too

Link to next
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/3713

2 Likes

YES! thank you so much!! This is exactly what I’m looking for. About how many people show up? And it’s perfect for when I get off work:)

[note: I am addressing the fact that this class exists at all here, not you personally]

These ASL classes, and the other language classes (e.g.: conversational Spanish), are not really appropriate fare for a Makerspace. It is not an issue of whether they are worthy or not or whether some people might be interested in them; given a large enough population, you will find someone will be interested in any particular thing.

Our membership dues are assumed to support the general promotion of Makery. Yes, we have an educational mission…but language classes are not teaching “making” as the concept generally is understood. We cannot teach everything and should not be trying to. Other organizations and institutions fulfill many of these needs far better than we are able to, but the Makerspace is one of only places people can come and learn actual makery.

We are already experiencing a shortage of classroom availability at certain days and times, partially due to our success and partially due to our allowance of classes and events that really better belong somewhere else or can be accessed other places such as the internet.

I disagree. While activated for hurricane relief, I saw first hand in Port Arthur how big a difference even remedial sign language knowledge can brighten the life of someone who is deaf and cannot speak. Had I not been learning at the space and through other means the situation would have been drastically different.

6 Likes

I understand your point, and kind of agree with it. But if it makes you feel any better, I signed up for this class just now because I have had an idea for a project that involves a robotic hand producing sign language.

2 Likes

This response addresses my points not at all. I didn’t say ASL isn’t useful, just that the teaching of it is misplaced here at the Makerspace, your personal emotionally moving anecdote not withstanding.

That at least has a remote connection to makery :slight_smile:

Not sure how many show up but I understand it’s been well attended. I haven’t made it to one. @missydee1206 I think could speak more to it since I think she’s gone to some. Also noticed in description that there’s a link to a meetup group where you could probably ask more questions

@mblatz
I was merely relaying an answer to a question. I’m aware there are various points of view on this topic. But the fact remains that for the moment, the Powers That Be are allowing three different language classes (ASL, Spanish, Mandarin) to appear on the schedule. I’m assuming they have traction/interest or the teachers wouldn’t keep doing it and it’s been allowed multiple iterations now.

But I will say, from the perspective of classroom usage, aside from value judgements, I don’t think they’re happening enough to greatly affect availability. I teach regularly, and if I go out just a week or two in the calendar, I don’t have an issue getting one of the classrooms I prefer, even on higher usage nights.

If it still bothers you, this might make another discussion thread. Have at it :slight_smile:

If the purpose of the makerspace is education, I see no reason we shouldn’t have language classes. Knowing a language is a useful skill, even as it applies to making things. I can’t tell you how many times I would have had an easier go at something if I could read the language the documentation was written in.

As an aside, as a child of deaf parents I support anything that brings ASL to more people.

2 Likes

One of the benefits of the classes is bringing people into the space that would not normally go to the makerspace.

I have been teaching Sign Language classes at the Makerspace since it first opened and have always given tours of the space after each class.

We usually have between 10 to 30 people show up.

If you are interested in Sign Language there are also meetings in Grand Prairie Public Library each Monday.
http://www.gptx.org/Home/Components/Calendar/Event/28538/15?seldept=13

• Eric Chaney
3 Likes

This reminds me of something that was shown on America’s Greatest Makers …

1 Like

Yes, but not just any education. Education regarding making and makery. It’s in our name, after all. We can’t be all things to all people, and shouldn’t try to be.

We have many mechanisms for getting new members and getting people that would not normally go to the makerspace in the door. In fact, judging by comments in other threads recently, overcrowding is becoming sort of an issue.

We can;t just have classes on anything and everything! How to make a bed? That will bring people into the space that would not normally go to the makerspace. How to fold a paper airplane? That will bring people into the space that would not normally go to the makerspace. Watching grass grow (for the avid horticulturist) That will bring people into the space that would not normally go to the makerspace.

You see the justification for your class does not really hold water…right? It allows virtually any class to be justified no matter how ridiculous.

There has to be some limiting principles on what classes we allow at DMS. One of them (repeating myself…sorry) is embedded in our name: the Dallas Makerspace.

What @wandrson posted and the video I replied with shows that there is a potential maker link to this class.

Yep…which can be said for my examples as well. ANYTHING can eventually be linked to some form of making. We are well positioned to teach the making portions of most projects. We are not well positioned to teach any and all necessary components of any and all projects. We are not a high school or community college or university or trade school. If I want to make a scalpel, does that justify a class on practical basic surgery just so I know how to use it?