Sign for the Bench Grinders

I would like to ask if anyone would be willing to make a sign for the bench grinders in the Metal Shop, that says something to the effect of " No Aluminum Grinding on Bench grinders"

:warning: **NOTE**: This category is **NOT** for discussion threads. Any "discussion" will be split out by one of the TALK Moderators to create a separate "discussion thread".
2 Likes

Hanging? Standing?

Material limits (e.g. no wood)?

Size?

Can it be shortened to just “NO ALUMINUM”? (Is brass OK?)

2 Likes

Should probably say “Ferrous materials only” but who would understand that. Or “Soft metals + grinding = DEATH” with a graphic of an exploding grinding wheel hitting an innocent bystander…

In all sincerity, I do not know how to get the word out that (what the signs should probably say) “GRINDERS ARE FOR STEEL ONLY”; special arrangements need to be made for any other material, and Metal Shop isn’t set up to do that other than to use sanding equipment. I also don’t know how to help people BELIEVE this is problematic, and applies to them, and yes, “even just this little bit”, and “I’ve never had a problem at my house” isn’t a reason to ruin community equipment, put others in danger, etc.

1 Like

Okay here is what I’m ordering for Machine Shop and Metal Shop. Signs are Aluminum for durability except for labels for machines.

Besides Grinding - two Signs, added UV Protection for Arc

I got a dozen 3" x 5" “EYE PROTECTION REQUIRED” labels that are adhesive so we can put them on each machine in Machine Shop

• Haas
  • Bridgeport
  • Lathe 2X
  • Band Saw, Cold Cut Saw, Alum Miter Saw
  • Drill Press
  • Sherline Table 3X
  • Arbor Press

That’s 12 total for machine labels.

If you can think of others let me know to add to order.

Is there any specific shoe requirement for Metal Shop. Looking for no open toes and just leather shoes right now.

7 Likes

I think those would work, David. It would save on our valuable volunteers time if we can get those. I think we need to mount them as conspicuous as possible. I personally don’t care if it mounted to wood, metal or plastic. The message just needs to be crystal clear.

2 Likes

Found these: Adding two for Machine Shop - how many for Metal Shop?

image We can get a custom sign with @Nick Sainz on it! :rofl:

3 Likes

Added this one for cold Cut Saw - forgot to add to chart.

1 Like

Id say leather shoes or shoe covers when welding or manually plasma cutting. Certainly no open toed shoes in metal shop. Tours probably are the only exception.

Couldn’t find a “Leather Shoes” just Safety Shoes and Closed Toe.

But safety shoes can be synthetic, I have a pair of New Balance Safety Shoes that are synthetic: steel toes and electrical isolation. I think I’ve worn them two or three times - my wide foot is cramped in toe.

Okay, Going to place order. You okay with this @Chris_Wischkowsky?

I have actually been putting a lot of thought into this recently and was going to bring it up.

I don’t actually think smaller signs are very effective. I think they get glossed over since there is already a lot of visual noise.

I would like us to fabricate a light weight skybox sign.

This would cover only the most essential safety rules we want followed such as wearing safety glasses and no gloves while operating machinery. The fewer points covered the better (so really only stuff related to major bodily injury.) We will need to use expressive minimalistic colors.

1 Like

I like the skybox idea. Didn’t hear a couple of hours and order was put in.

What I like about the labels on each machine is people can’t “I didn’t know” or “I didn’t see it.” or “I don’t notice the skybox I wasn’t looking up”

I guess the real issue is are you going to hold folks accountable? I know Nick and I are considered hardass about Safety. If you don’t want these to put up I’ll pay for them.

1 Like

I’m perfectly happy with the signs you ordered, I would also like to add the skybox.

Everyone should be a hardass on safety, if warnings are not followed a ban will be in order.

3 Likes

I like the idea of the skybox and I’d like to add a suggestion. Regarding colors … (somewhere) there are guidelines as to what color combinations are suitable for people with color-deficient vision. I’d like to see us incorporate those. For instance, red on blue is specifically very difficult for color-deficient vision to discern.

2 Likes

Probably needs to be well lit, as well. As in better lit than current ceiling area of Metal Shop is.

Note: OSHA typically uses Yellow instead of the Yellow-Orange (Amber) color for part of their signs and images. Prior to their last revision they matched ANSI (OP ED: guess some bureaucrat was bored and decided OSHA needs to be different than industry standards, so change something to make it appear you are doing something)

OSHA / ANSI Colors and shapes

1 Like