*sigh* Walter has been muted on Talk

You might have noticed that our favorite curmudgeon has been MIA for the past few days. It appears that the BoD has turned off his Talk access.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20170319#Complaint_against_a_member_.28Talk.29
(scroll down to the Minutes section to find out more)

I don’t always agree with his viewpoint, and I occasionally vehemently object to his posts, but I completely disagree with this course of action. Flagging is a great way for the community to vote on questionable behavior.

Please consider asking your favorite BoD member to reverse this decision.

18 Likes

I saw that a couple of days ago.

He did, however, just announce his intent to run for the Board of Directors.

Lordy, can’t say you’re a dull bunch, that’s for certain.

Also disagree with muting Walter.

8 Likes

This is entirely inappropriate. Censoring a member is not the right answer.

8 Likes

Giving a timeout can be beneficial for all involved, but when giving someone a timeout there is usually a time limit before going all nuclear later with a perma-ban.

It should’ve had a time limit that gets bigger with each successive application.

9 Likes

I also disagree with muting Walter. The minutes from the board agreed that Walter was the victim of a threat on Talk, and then in an odd move, they decided to censor him instead. Go figure …

8 Likes

I also disagree with the total mute of Walter,. I often
disagreed with him, but I have seen his dedication to
the space and to helping other members,

I feel that we are having some growing pains right now and
some really hate to discuss them, Lot s of ruffled feathers
including mine!

5 Likes

Y’all could always put it on the member meeting to overturn the board decision.

9 Likes

Since those offended seem to be on this forum, this is probably the appropriate place for this sort of petition.

3 Likes

But not a formal method. Gather your support, plan it out and have everyone show up to the next meeting to vote.

I’d join for what it’s worth

6 Likes

In a few weeks the man will actually show up to a board meeting, profess his rehabilitation, and then he will be reinstated. Except for the small detail about him threatening to sue DMS, it will go swimmingly.

1 Like

He was in the building at the time of the BoD meeting… FWIW.

7 Likes

Ok. That’s funny.

He’s been called up a couple of times according to the minutes. He didn’t show up for either. And this time he was in the building?

(PS I was too for a while. I ran away. You guys still scare me. Plus, I got everything I wanted without even entering the room, so I’m good with that outcome.)

I was in the board meeting as well. The proceedings on this particular agenda item reminded me of one of my favorite lines from Silverado: “We’re going to give him a fair trial, immediately followed by a first class hanging.”

9 Likes

I to agree with much of the sentiment shared in this thread. The board doesn’t have the tact needed to dole out punishment for behavior issues. Read the minutes and try to under stand any reasoning for perpetual blocking of Walter. I’m actually surprised they are not going after @Photomancer for subverting their ruling and posting on Walters behalf. If we hold the ruling of the board as an example of excellence, David’s subverting it is nothing less than unexcellent and a direct undermining. I hope the board can see the errors of their ways and correct them before it is taken further.

2 Likes

Obviously there is more context and history than captured in less than 1,800 characters. Anyone wishing to run things differently can run for the board and be 1/5 of deciding contentious issues, or you can just complain on the internet and see where that gets you.

10 Likes

I will be honest, I was at the space on Sun, I had intended
to attend the board meeting, but I decided that I didn t have
the Patience I needed that day. In my old age, I have a lot
less, I am not pleased with a lot of what I have been seeing,
and it seems that I need to come to the space more and leanr
to ignore a lot of what happens on talk,

1 Like

I vehemently disagree with the banning of Walter, even moreso if the ban is indefinite as has been intimated in this thread. Everyone has the option to just not read his posts if they are bothersome. Maybe talk should implement the equivalent of an ‘ignore’ function, if it doesn’t already exist.

Contrarians can be annoying, but censorship is definitely…NOT excellent.

8 Likes

One of my favorite lines too! (No “immediately” BTW)

The ignore function can be found in the Preferences page under your profile. Scroll all the way down to the bottom. Immediately above “Save Changes”, there is a box that allows you to enter the names of users you want to mute. Entering a name will suppress notifications from that user. I don’t know how extensive it is nor how well it works, as I’ve never had to use it.

2 Likes