Show and Tell September 2022

Like James, I had the opportunity to use a faceting machine that was brought in by one of our members. This is borosilicate glass.

16 Likes

Sometimes I design things for the sake of designing things and sometimes I do so out of necessity. This is a case of the latter.

Ubiquiti is out of stock of wall mounts that I need so rather than wait for them to come back into stock I decided to design (DraftSight 2D CAD) and make one myself (Thunder Laser, 5mm underlayment).

The flat layout

Will it blend? Yes. No design tweaks necessary.

Beaming out the wifis in the proper orientation - and more importantly outside of the closet.

16 Likes

Photography class using the equipment in digital media.

14 Likes

That is so cool and now it looks like I have a similar goal to achieve! I had been looking at metal frame to make my own wood top, but maybe I should consider learning to make my own frame. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Dad’s birthday is tomorrow so I made him this. Made from an old lawnmower blade and scrap walnut/leather. Only had to buy the brass handle pins. seasoned and tempered with veggie oil just like you would a cast iron pan. Just ugly enough to use and not baby it.

15 Likes

What a great observation! Very smart of you. Everytime anyone gave my dad something nice, he said, “oh this is too nice to use” and he put it away for safe keeping. Gifts are intended to be used!

2 Likes

I often joke that the first thing you should do to a new truck once you are happy it is behaving well is put the first dent in it, so you remember it is a truck, and don’t avoid using it. :grin:

6 Likes

Reminded of the blacksmith at Washington State Park (replicating the workshop of James Black) whose display includes what’s believed to be a faithful replica of the knife that James Bowie used in the infamous Sandbar fight made from an old file. While the veracity of this claim will no doubt be hotly debated given that what we generally accept as a Bowie Knife diverges from this design, the utilitarian origins are undeniable - steel was immensely valuable 195 years ago to the point that reworking a worn file into a knife would be a sensible re-use of the material. To wit, the blacksmith had a more recognizable Bowie Knife that he’d made from an old leaf spring.

1 Like

I’m not saying anyone’s creations are ugly, but I have certainly made my fair share of “ugly” and almost embarrassing creations… I once made a mug in ceramics which was just plain ugly. So ugly I decided to dispose of it even though it was my first attempt and I usually like to keep those.

My son, said “Dad people buy ugly.” After I retrieved the mug from the trash, I handed it to him. “OK,” I said, “It is yours to do with as you please.”

He took it to work and sat it on the corner of his desk. Someone came by and inquired about whether it was for sale. He said, “Sure, how much would you pay for it?” She said, “It is so cute, I’ll give you $10.” Who would have thought.

Below are a pair of knifes I made back in January 2017 from an edger blade I literally found in the middle of the road and some ironwood I had on hand. Honestly, they cut pretty well for a pair of “first attempts”.

10 Likes

Based on my experience with ironwood, my scales probably would have been harder than my blade. :rofl:

3 Likes

Utilitarian stuff that works is awesome because it’s a real-life demonstration of the mathematical concept of local minimum. If this coincides with our sense of aesthetics that’s just gravy, on the other hand function following form tends to introduce compromises to utility.

1 Like

My first/only ceramics mug was incredibly ugly and uneven. I used it because it was a larger mug, but hated looking at it. Michael apparently thinks its great and really likes it. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I found plans for a larger shelf for my Shaper Origin Workstation. All holes cut with my Origin and the cam clamps as well. Profile cut with The DMS Sawstop and the sanded with the belt sander. Not really pretty, but it will get the job done.

9 Likes

My first Multicam project….after retesting.
1/4 Baltic birch plywood….because that is all I had….2 pieces glued together.

14 Likes

Where did you find the plans and how does it fit with the Origin?

I got them from the Shaper Hub. There are 3 countersunk holes that match up with the screws on the Shaper Wortstation. This replaces the small spoilboard that it comes with. I’ll post pictures when I actually get it set up to use this week.

The blackest black #2

5 Likes

Finally got to use my new shelf for my Shaper Workstation. Worked great. Engraved a walnut cutting board for a friend. He is going to fill it with resin.

14 Likes

We had a great time tonight at Sue Rogers Historical Wire Ring class!!!

17 Likes

To force myself to learn CAD beyond Tinkercad (as well as plasma and brazing) for future metal “papercraft” projects, I decided on a 2" pumpkin. The face is projected onto a 3D object, and finally unfolded/flattened for plasma cutting on 14ga. Designed on JUMP’s SOLIDWORKS, CNC plasma cut, bent on anvil, and TIG brazed together. The fit is awful, and the braze is totally inconsistent, but pretty happy with learning process, the result, and seeing it come to life.

15 Likes