Show and Tell October 2021

Very cool! I love that the bowling ball looks like a skull. Clever.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. The ball skull & pin arms in the “Home Alone” pose

…priceless!

2 Likes

Well it IS that time of year, so I decided to work on a fun little project for October.

In keeping with the OP’s intent, here’s my ‘DMS CV’: I’m a former Vice-Chair of Laser (2018-2019), and former Member of the DMS Board of Directors (2019). My main interests include: resin casting; woodshop lathe work; leatherwork; lasers (pew-pew!); and various other glass/plastics/creative arts-based projects.

Saw a cool YouTube video on converting old dollhouses into haunted houses, and was smitten. It’s a work-in-progress…more photos to come as the month progresses (hint…it involves LCD screens, smoke effects, and LEDs).

17 Likes

Whoa! @Scott_Blevins! I bet people would buy these, too. I’ve never heard of this and it’s just so good. What will you use for the screen controllers, Raspberry Pi? Arduino? I love this.

1 Like

That’s the plan. However, there’s a lot of windows (10), not all of which will be filled with screens. I’m still trying to decide on the overall ‘look and feel’ of the house. I want to ‘reward’ people who peek in the windows with interior vignettes. In other windows, I may just use some grey tulle to partially mask the view, but then use LED lighting and interior props (figures) to create a spooky effect. Overall, it will involve resin casting, some Arduino/Raspberry Pi magic, and some lighting/smoke/sound effects. I have a very brief ‘proof of concept’ video for the window screens, but the file is incompatible with DMS Talk. Shoot me a note if you’d like to see it, and I’ll send it to you.

1 Like

I’ve been learning pour painting in the hopes of teaching a class once I feel comfortable with a few pouring techniques and I recently got to the point of learning how to mix my own paints. Last night I was up at the space learning what ratio worked for liquitex acrylics, floetrol, and water, and practiced the same blowing technique 3 times.

One with not nearly enough water

One with a good ratio overall

And one with silicone drops in the pink and white

10 Likes

Today must be Homecoming at our High School. This morning there were girls with mums the size of car tires walking around.

Our school was having homecoming. It’s crazy how big the mum’s were.

10 Likes

Continued PrintNC CNC build

Assembling the Y axis rails and ball screws

Good ol’ Harbor Freight comes through with a cheap powerful dust collection

Y axis finished with ballscrew rollers

Prepping the X axis gantry mounts placements.

Using the 3D printed guides to center holes and drill patterns.

I spent a very long time drilling every hole on the Bridgeport and tapping with our tapping machine.

I still have to assembly the gantry and I prepped all the Z axis parts (made by another PrintNC builder in Carrollton) and I am starting to place my electronics in my electronics cabinet and start wiring.

10 Likes

My son said someone was walking around with an $800 mum this morning.

Sheesh. Anyone ever consider donating that money to a local soup kitchen, or women’s’ shelter?

1 Like

Very nice!

I’m intrigued by the build. What do people do who don’t have access to a Bridgeport to drill the rails?

Is that your jack stand on the Bridgeport, or do we actually have some in Machine Shop? Thx.

1 Like

We do have some of those machinist jacks.

2 Likes

I taught a mum-making class at DMS in the fall of 2019! It didn’t attract much attention. But I was able to use the resources at DMS to make some cool laser cutouts for my daughter’s senior year.

15 Likes

Two 1:12 scale functional bench vises (only one shown). The jaws and the swivel base are functional. The castings are bronze. The machined parts are primarily brass, with a little aluminum and silver. Sherline mill and Taig lathe were instrumental in this project.

18 Likes

I got a couple things out of the kiln I’m pretty pleased with!

First a little ghost juicer! I maybe should have done the ghost in white clay rather than speckled, but I think the freckles are cute anyway!

And another, bigger octopus. Dad requested one for his birthday, hopefully it’ll survive being mailed to Norway!

17 Likes

OMG! You never cease to amaze me!

3 Likes

Usually people hand drill the holes. The hole centers are done with some 3D printed guides that tightly match the profile of the steel and can be very accurate, I just use the bridgeport as a fancy drill press. The holes were drilled straight enough that I can wiggle the linear rail a little to make square to the rest of my machine.

To make a straight surface you have to start with a straight surface.

3 Likes

Drawer / cart for garage. Objective was to make a cart that fit into work bench and resemble a file cabinet. Cart it to contain a file cabinet but also to store thing and allow easy access to back of work bench undershelf. Cart can be fully removed and stand alone from bench.

5 Likes

Made some leather puppy paws for a commission. All the straps / end points are reinforced with mesh webbing thru, so they’re STURDY.

I tried to sew the grey toe beans on but they just looked awful no matter what color thread I tried so I opted for using glue and doing it the very precise method that ensures a permanent bond.

9 Likes

How on earth

2 Likes