Show and Tell October 2020

I like it!

19 Likes

Now to fill it up with Deviled Eggs. Mmmmmm.

6 Likes

Or balut eggs! Mmmmm…

1 Like

Eww dat nasty. How about Scottish eggs?

2 Likes

I lurve scotch eggs!

1 Like

Made a packout mount plate setup for my truck. I still need to cut a cleat footprint out of something stuffer than aluminum, but @TBJK was nice enough to give me one of his original cuts from his project that was leftover to get started.

That bottom box is my Lithium batteries for the transceivers, light bar, strobes, and winch.

15 Likes

Aw man. I wish I hadn’t googled that.

2 Likes

Nick was this done with laser cutting?

Yes. all the veneers 1/40" are laser cut (I don’t have the patience for a coping saw) and applied to a backing board with contact cement. For the next one I’m using veneered plywood (1/16") since it doesn’t have the crinkles you get with straight veneer. Glue is drying so hopefully I’ll have a good result in a few hours. Also laser cut on the Fusion. Cheers!

3 Likes

Looks amazing!

1 Like

I do have the patience for that, but it’s nearly impossible difficult to cut these by hand without the small pieces splitting along the grain.

1 Like

Not quite making, other than ruts in my neighbors yard. I picked up my neighbors skid steer and helped him relocate his dump truck load of fire wood to the backyard. Tomorrow we are digging out the grass between our houses and laying down rock.

We hand dug around our water meters today.

8 Likes

Getting the band back together!
Walnut, rift cut white oak, mahogany, jatoba, ebonized wood. 13"x15"

22 Likes

I love the way the grain directions contribute to the image.

thank you. That is a big part of the design phase. Just remember to do the resize of .005" before you rotate it in order to keep the sizes correct for a good fit. cheers!

3 Likes

this is a 1976 Nishijin model B that I got from @Julie-Harris. Took it a apart, cleaned it and reconnected a few things. With a little help from the vector section of talk I was able to even get the lights working!
Here’s a video:

14 Likes

Multicam is my thing these days but I’ve always been working on relatively large, imprecise stuff like better-than-IKEA plywood shop furniture.

Today I did my first work with actual hardwood and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out.

These are mahogany and maple driver wheels for a locomotive that was published in Woodsmith magazine a number of years ago.

The plans are okay but are missing dimensions, angles, etc. Using screen calipers, eyeballs and an obvious pentagon in the design, I drew it up in Solidworks and cut my first parts today.

This is a longer-term project. I have much more fun kayak stuff going on, and the look in my daughter’s eyes when I mentioned it (a kayak for her) solidified that I must be done with those before Christmas.

21 Likes

Been up to trying a few new things in the kitchen, mostly makin bacon (the lean British type) and bread! Here is this weekends delicious success. Going to start experimenting with smoked goodies soon.

15 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Interested in Learning Dynatorch (CNC Plasma Cutting)

Nice work. Can you explain the part about the .005” resize?

1 Like