Show and Tell May 2022

Finished a triple-decker hammock for the rat boys. I think they like it. Hopefully they don’t chew holes in this one for a while.

11 Likes

@coloneldan just likes to send her photos of the cool stuff we make with the materials that she donates.

3 Likes

Chris is right. Leanne loves to see the creative end products made from the Gulfstream donations.
I’ve already sent the pictures to her. I haven’t heard back but I suspect I will. Thank you for posting them.

2 Likes

A few more acrylic lamp blanks. the pitbull looks much better in person. you can check them out in the PigSig area.

12 Likes

Had SO much FUN today - thank you to @j801496 and @Julie-Harris for helping to make this a truly memorable anniversary!
So happy to join the group!!
#imnotanaddictitscool

19 Likes

More butterflies made.

13 Likes

Took another class from Sue
We made “squiggles” out of wire. The first pair of ear wires I’ve made that don’t hurt my ears. A classmate made earrings for her mom for mother’s day.

Also took a glazing class to finish out the jewelry holder I made in cake plate class.

And in squiggles class, where we were making spirals, I got inspired to try to replicate an ancient Greek cloak pin.

17 Likes

Made some knife and chisel covers today. I’m tired of nicking my fingers.

12 Likes

sweet.

Word of caution,before you keep those sharp tools in that leather, take a piece of it and leave it for a few days on a similar piece to see if it reacts with the steel. Different types of taning can leave resdiual chemicals that react with steel…DAMHIK

3 Likes

That is a good thing to know that I did not consider. I’ll make sure to double check that

1 Like

Turned some beads for earrings. This is my first time turning beads and doing any kind of jewelry making. I plan to make beads out of acrylic and combined acrylic and wood blanks, but I needed to practice and test out how to mount the pieces to the lathe. I opted for CA glueing the blank to a sac piece in a chuck.

21 Likes

Ooh, you are CORRECT. This particular swatch of leather caused some massive tarnishing to the butt of the knife. The chisel covers seem fine though

1 Like

Finished the first sleeve on my Main Squeeze cardigan!

This is a WIP everyone else in my knitting circle has already done and the peer pressure eventually got to me :sweat_smile:

Yarn is Wool-Ease by Lion Brand from Michael’s. Using fancy wool would have been far too expensive, and I wanted something I could throw in the washing machine. It knits up wonderfully!

Hoping to finish it just in time for triple digit weather. :joy:

15 Likes

Residual chromium salts in chrome tanned leather can corrode steel. This is usually only a problem with cheap imported leather, though. The same issue would cause buckles, snaps, et al to corrode, so US manufacturers ensure any residual salts are removed.

I use a chrometanned tool roll for my leatherworking tools - no issues.

You might consider putting some oil on the tools before storing, as leather can also hold moisture, which in turn can cause rust or patina to develop. I like to put a healthy amount of neetsfoot oil and/ or lanolin on the inside of my sheaths. “Sno-Seal” waterproofing works well (lots of lanolin, beeswax, and oils, all leather safe)…

2 Likes

My first two completed Makerspace projects complete :slight_smile: @Team_Laser

11 Likes

Nicely done, Eric!

1 Like

And another quick fix.
Took a piece of stainless rod that was laying around to the Colchester. It was 3/8, I believe 303 stainless. Did not take long at all to machine to dimensions & the part it off.

And the fresh part with no clean up

Added to the machine.

12 Likes

And another grandson steps across the threshold to the adulting world!
16"x20" x1" beech. Odie’s Oil finish.

16 Likes

Project made for a repeat Canadian customer. Peruvian walnut with a beech insert. Image of the Athenian lawgiver Solon and a response he gave an ancient king when asked if the king’s wealth & power made him a lucky man. Beyond that, it’s all ancient Greek to me!

14 Likes

Thanks to @Lordrook for a great class and helping me make this box its not perfect but its still cool and i love the look of it

17 Likes