Show and Tell May 2020

A friend of mine took this awesome photo of Canadian geese taking off from the pond behind his place in Colorado.

I made a frame for it using weathered pallet wood and some hand-forged steel cleats.

12 Likes

So, I bought an Axiom CNC, which led to two projects. I decided not to buy the stand and toolbox (for 1200 dollars) and make my own, choosing to buy a Craftsman tool cabinet from Lowes and weld me up a stand.

I then used my tattoo artist “flash” of a Koi fish to try to do a project on my cnc. I used the Vectric software built in texture for a wave profile in the background. I tested a blue dye in it and it turned out too busy. so i then used a “Chipping” texture background to bring down the wave profile and make the fish pop more.

I also built a bench from my online Samurai Carpenter series I have been watching,.

17 Likes

That is a serious stand - looks great!

3 Likes

I wanted a lot of mass to act as a damper to the machine, it does have rubber mounts but I had to put wheels on it so I could nest it when I needed to park a car in the garage.

1 Like

Infeed stands for my small bandsaw. Fold flat or remove bottom leg and store in a drawer under the saw.

12 Likes

Tig welded a cracked Brooks bicycle saddle frame, and made some bushings to replace the pivot bearings in my bike.

Used vapor hone prior to covid to strip paint off, washed with orange degreaser, crack was ground slightly to get to clean metal, wiped with acetone, tig welded.

Pressing old bearing out

Pressing new bearing in

8 Likes

Made some coasters for a family member who moved to the Mueller neighborhood of Austin. The city took the old airport property and are building a planned development. The old control tower is still a neighborhood feature. HTV on hand-dyed veg-tan leather. Cut the leather and vinyl on my Cricut Maker. I made six of each component, thinking I’d screw some up and still have 4 left for a set of coasters, but they all came out fine!

5 Likes

So my best friends compressor went out on his ac. We removed & replaced his compressor as well as the liquid line filter drier. While I brazed I ran nitrogen through to keep the oxidation from happening. We pressurized to 275 psig with nitrogen to leak check it. Evacuated & then recharged. Started right up.

I brazed it mostly upside down.

9 Likes

I kinda want to print new gauge faces for the pressure pots now. “RETARD” PSI is pretty easy to follow :laughing:

5 Likes

I finally finished it!!
15hrs in the last 3 days and I finally got all those little squiggles sewn on in their matching thread. Whew

Weeks ago, I used disolvable thread to do temporary basting, so I’m looking forward to seeing that work. (thanks for the suggestion!)

12 Likes

I want to paint a Settler’s of Catan set for myself one of these days, but I can never get anybody to play with me. I’m not even that advanced of a player, I’ve probably played it less than 10 times total, but I really enjoy the game and nobody ever seems to want to play it. Even so, I think once I figure out in my head how I want to paint it I’m going to make one anyway.

4 Likes

That is awesome!
Always been one of my favorites, though I do like the Dr. Who version…:rofl:

3 Likes

I totally forgot to check back on Talk. I’ve been making a lot!

First category: PPE: face shields!

Two litre soda bottle. Plastic coffee can Spare wire. Rivets. Clear glue.

It’s designed to allow either a headband or hat attachment. I’ll be making a few of these and distributing them to service industry friends of mine that need them.

The bare wire will be refitted and the plastic edges will be smoothed out soon. I just wanted to capture the progress of my first attempt.

This design is so simple and elegant!

instagram @BrenlyXR

7 Likes

Leather working: I made leather masks! These are NOT for protection. They are merely show stoppers to wear over existing ppe. One is already planned as a donation / tip to a tattoo artist. Bartering with my makes is such a great way to get by in this covid economy!

These masks are made only with recycled leather jackets. No new leather. This is a modified version of a free design available from paintyee youtube channel. I adapted it for better specs and softer leather.

instagram @brenlyxr

I will update the rest of my leather category tomorrow. For now I must sleep!
and, as always, you have my full permission to use my images for dallas maker space social media~

8 Likes

When the physical distancing stuff has passed, I’m all for getting some games in!

3 Likes

We could probably dye sub aluminum of the appropriate size. :wink:

I’m interested, too. I’ve only played it on my phone against AIs. I’d love to play a live game.

1 Like

Me @alexandcolesmom , @Lordrook, and @classielassie have been playing using the catan app and it’s gone pretty well. It has a few bugs, but worked well enough for us to get some games in. That was what started me on printing a 3D version!

2 Likes

Borrowed a lathe, finished a several month old ring project.

13 Likes