Show and Tell March 2021

Custom slate drink costers. Might make this a class if anyone shows interest. Had to mail order them from Wally World. Wonder if they have the material cheaper at like home depot or somewhere.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slate-Drink-Coasters-Set-of-8-4-x-4-By-Trademark-Innovations/533054388

14 Likes

Don’t make many things for myself but I made this chair with mortise and tenons and a woven leather strap.

22 Likes

They are currently back ordered, but JDS Industries carries them at $0.96 each when ordered in case quantities of 6. Their South Dakota warehouse (main location) is expecting 21,600 of them the middle of April, and will disperse them at that time. I can let you know when they are back in stock in the local warehouse.

2 Likes

More FOs I’m rather chuffed with!

Slow feed food bowl for our cats, who are bad about inhaling their food and then vomiting it bach up, sometimes :upside_down_face:

They’re not super polished, but I honestly think the handmade rustic look is charming, so hey ho :slight_smile:

11 Likes

kinda also looks like a zombie hand rising up which would look great if there was some liquid in the bowl

4 Likes

So I’m not finished, But I rebuilt 4 of my HEUI Diesel injectors for my Ford 7.3 Powerstroke. I have to say just with those 4 rebuilt, its a big difference in power. Obviously I used the Autobay, I picked up a rebuild kit from Bitterroot Diesel with the tool kit to be able to torque the injectors. I have to say thanks to both @Paul_Morley & @know for grabbing me dinner. Also for Allen’s help keeping me company & with getting it started after the long day. The next set half I intend on taking more pictures, there is about 40-50 parts inside the injectors.
Here is the kit

Carbon fouled nozzle, keep in mind these injectors have 313,000 miles on them. A rebuilt set runs about 1,600-2,000$ depending on where you get them, you might find them a little cheaper looking around.

Comparisons between the clean rebuilt ones vs the ones pulled out.

9 Likes

You…ah…better knot mention that again.

1 Like

So my ADD kicked in when I was getting ethanol free fuel for my chainsaws and I ended up putting new hoses on the bike and cleaning the carb…I haven’t ridden it in, likely, 10 years.

Honda CR250R. The horrible color scheme has come back into vogue…darn zoomers.

It wouldn’t let me post a vid of it running, but you see the 2 stroke greatness pouring out the exhaust.

6 Likes

thanks Cary! I just checked that website but I don’t have an account so wasn’t able to check. I did sign up for one, unsure they’ll add me but thanks for the note. 96 cents each is pretty good, plus they have a ton of stuff as you know!!

If you need anything before you get an account, let me know an I’ll be your go between.

1 Like

I would be interested in the class. Thank you!

1 Like

Copper pendants from the PMC class :slight_smile:

14 Likes

If I end up doing that class I might pre-buy some materials for the class, so I’ll for sure keep your offer in mind. Thanks tons!

3 Likes

First cab - agate. Huge thank you to @JBluJkt!!

14 Likes

That’s beautiful!

2 Likes

Thank you!! I had a very good teacher :grin:

2 Likes

Fell into some YouTube rabbit holes and ended up watching some videos about an old screensaver I used to love: Johnny Castaway. I used to love sitting there and watching it - it almost seemed real at the time.

Well, apparently through the magic of DosBox, users have already figured out how to get it running on modern hardware. I threw together a cheap screen and a raspberry pi I had around, and now I can have a photo frame of the poor castaway - I may script out some start/stop times or tie it to a photosensor so it’s only on during the day, but I’m highly amused for now:

13 Likes

Finished restoration and installation of a large (5.5” jaws) post vise I picked up in the Panhandle last fall.

The vise was muddy-muddy (apparently the dirt-floor shop had flooded and the vise was laying on the ground/in the mud).

Disassembly and a going over with a wire cup brush took care of most of the mud and surface rust. Fortunately the screw box is in good shape and the threads were in very good condition. The jaws open and close smoothly and align well.

The handle was bent (probably from using a cheater bar), but a little heat and I was able to straighten it. I actually did this at DMS last fall.

The bar spring which opens the jaws was missing, so I fabricated a new one. Similarly, the wedge which holds the vise on the clamp was missing (two large nails were in place as proxies). This was pretty easy to fabricate as well for a tight fit.

I’ve mounted it on the stand which previously held my smaller 4” post vise. Curiously, the larger vise is about 1” shorter, so I’ll need to shorten the mounting post or shim the bottom of the vise leg to adapt.

I applied a coating of blacksmith finish (a mixture of beeswax, boiled linseed oil, and turpentine ) to blacken and protect the metal.

10 Likes

For a frivolous diversion, I made this miniature Da Vinci cam hammer. No CNC or laser used; tools included jeweler’s saw, lathe, mill, table saw, and drill press.

Woods include cherry, walnut, lemonwood, African blackwood, padauk, and pear.

Turning the crank makes the hammer go up and down. If you’d like to see a 25 second (low resolution) video of it working, here’s the video on YouTube:

15 Likes

38 hour print. This thing turned out sweet but unfortunately still a bit too small. Will have to split it to print bigger.

19 Likes