Show and Tell March 2021

A Call to Fellowship

We gain inspiration from our fellow makers. Post a description and a photo or 2 of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever) in this thread!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. Most of us never get to see the cool things people do at DMS all the time.

Posting here could inspire others to make something, helps our Public Relations team provide a look at what can be done at DMS on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content:

• a quality PHOTO
  • a notation about WHAT you have made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog & other social media)
  • HOW you made it
  • and WHY
1 Like

Both cats do it, but this one got caught. They both have claws.

The quilt is the solution.

All of the quilt top pieces larger than a sheet of paper were laser cut on Big Thunder, as was a huge paper template for marking the stitching swirls.

I designed a huge pattern to paper-piece the top and it had to be printed at 100% scale. See this other post for a reasonably-priced source for plotting jumbo patterns.

25 Likes

That is GORGEOUS!
But I have to ask: did you try a simple cattrap?

Experiments in our house suggest folded towels and/or boxen work nearly as well, too

9 Likes

A forged copper and steel scoop for making coffee. Holds about one ounce. Made from a 1” copper plumbing cap, squared-off 1/4” round mild steel for the handle, and copper grounding wire for the rivets.

27 Likes

made a pair of earrings from the beads I made while teaching some one on one bead making classes. Once my family is fully vaccinated I’m going to start putting classes on the calendar for this.

13 Likes

The photo is a couple months old. I’ve been meaning to go out and take more. Getting a waiver from the FAA to fly a drone in controlled airspace was easier and faster than expected. If anyone has questions on how to request this from the FAA feel free to ping me.

25 Likes

Your photography is gorgeous! I also remember some night time shots you posted a couple years ago. Beautiful work.

2 Likes

Kept getting phone wallets off Amazon that were cardboard on the inside and fell apart in like 2 months so I designed and printed my own out of tpu and then spray painted and lacquered it and I really like it. Might need another coat but overall its holding up really well.

WIN_20210307_14_44_27_Pro

16 Likes

It’s not a make, but keeping up well used cars is an ongoing project.

Trying to get my wife’s ‘05 4 cylinder Highlander to pass inspection. Replaced bank 1 sensor 1 about 2 months ago, and the ODB code just changed to indicate sensor 2 was also out (green). Careful trimming of the wire clips (red) let me reuse them with zip ties.

These sensor wrenches are a huge help, but the old sensor still didn’t want to come off (even with rust penetrant). Used a hose clamp to keep it from warping under the pressure of the breaker bar.

14 Likes

This project started back in Dec… however due to back ordered Plexiglass and a heater strip malfunction it been a while in the making: the shelves are made from mahogany and stained with Nutmeg, finished its arm-r-seal satin.
The plexiglass shelves are suspended with 3/16th aircraft cable, note I had to order a new cable cutter because my knipex side cutter was crushing the cable… the cable won’t feed through the cable gripper unless the cable or round… the most rewarding part was the client face lit up when it was done…

27 Likes

Vary nice work👏

1 Like

Amazing!!!

1 Like

New to wood working and new to MS. First try pardon the mess in my 1 car garage!!!

24 Likes

:+1: Good work! However the knots don’t line up… :rofl:

1 Like

just glad I still have all my fingers!

1 Like

An old carpenter named Stubs, told me count your fingers before you start a project and count them after you finished the project… that number should be the same! :joy: all kidding aside that board looks awesome…

Finished and delivered this book case I’d been working on in the shop. Solid walnut with three coats of thinned tung oil then two coats of wax.

25 Likes

Ceramic octopus friend!

She came about purely because I knew a special lustre firing at the maker space was coming up, and I wanted to make something special for it! And so here she finally is. Each spot was hand-painted on, which is also why it’s run and pooled in places where I was too generous with the liquid, but I don’t mind, to me it just makes her look more organic!

She’s my first hand-build since I was a kid in school :slight_smile:

28 Likes

This is mesmerizing :star_struck:

2 Likes