Show and Tell June 2020

That is truly beautiful. When we open up again, I think that this would be a great multi-part class for you to teach, if you were willing! I would definitely love to take it! Man I sure do miss turning, I’m tempted to just buy a lathe but I know it would go unused the second the space opened back up

2 Likes

Fantastic work!

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve seen some of your work on etsy and it is quite impressive.

1 Like

Oh Nadia,

Thanks for your comments. While I am willing to share, I don’t think this project is well suited for a DMS class. Perhaps I should have proclaimed this prototype 1. I wrote some of steps I took to complete the project, but if I were to document the “lessons learned”, it would be an even longer treatise. I still have more to learn before I’m ready for prime time and it is a looonnngg, protracted process to build.

Regarding your note about buying a lathe: without knowing anything about you or your personal circumstances (geez, I think I hear some cracking from the limb I just crawled out onto), I think you should still consider it. If you are serious about learning to turn, having your own lathe will likely complement your learning, provide an avenue during the shutdown, and long term might be available for you post-DMS. I’d be dying right now without my 38-year-old shopsmith.

3 Likes

This is something I started forever ago at the Space and just finished up. It’s nice to cross those finish lines.

EDIT: Painted the hands so they stand out more

20 Likes

Awesome! I’d love to know the details of your project.

2 Likes

Well, I had this walnut cookie slice and didn’t really like the sapwood so tried to contrast the look of it by routing out the edge. I filled it with resin of course.

Then I laser cut the numbers and printed out a clock template from the interwebs for where to put em on the clock. Took me a few tries to get the sizing right.

The inside of the numbers is filled with a blue glow resin. Honestly, you can’t tell cause it’s so faint so it was kinda a waste but fun.

I didn’t want the numbers protruding so thought I would do an inlay. Im not cnc approved so I used the laser again and made the inlay with that then glued in the numbers.

Drilled the center hole, poured a clear resin coat over it which took a few rounds to get it perfect, installed the clock kit, and voila!

6 Likes

Very nice! I especially like what you did with the blue resin ring.

making masks, trying out different styles.

7 Likes

The table I made has been installed in its home in NJ.

30 Likes

Amazing work man. Very nice table and placement, too. I’m sure it will be a conversation piece there for years to come.

2 Likes

Beautiful table! Wow!

When I got my hair cut last weekend I noticed a couple of paper signs they had taped to the mirrors. When I asked if they were a pain to clean around, my stylist said that had to be so careful to not get them wet or tear them while sanitizing the mirror. So, I made them some dye sublimated aluminum signs to replace them. No worries with getting them wet, and just as easy to sanitize as the mirror itself.

18 Likes

Miniature kitchen ceiling light (1/12 scale) as part of a more extensive project.

• Bronze turned base; holes using mill rotary table.
  • Brass turned bolt with knurled head.
  • Three 5mm LEDs in series with 180 ohm resistor
  • Resin “dome” - many thanks to @themitch22 who printed this on his personal resin SLA printer

This is my first ever Fusion360 model - so although it was a five minute model I had a lot of learning first. And I am not a SparkE so figuring out the wiring feels like an accomplishment.

IMG_9023b_600px

shade_600px

12 Likes

That’s great Chris. I find myself farting around with fusion & sometimes yelling at it “Why wont you work”

I spent 4-5 hours trying to get Knurling to work & show up on a part one time.

2 Likes

I used a jeweler’s knurl - similar concept but IMO easier to use. Perfect on the microlathes.

Aluminoid™ Light Switch Cover

Boring light switch cover. Soda can. Tape. Template:
switchcutout

I was able to stain the screw-heads a light red color through the careful application of Photoshop.

I know. My lightsaber-cut Star Wars cover from a while back was better:

13 Likes

That’s really cool! Is there not any concern with the soda can becoming charged if a wire were to come loose or something?

Maybe have:
Top: Let there be Light!
Bottom: And There Is!

1 Like

None at all.

Because: (i) I’m criminally reckless, (ii) soda cans are coated with a nonconductive, food-safe epoxy, and (iii) I’ve seen metal light switch covers all the time, and no one’s pulled those from the market.

1 Like