Show and Tell June 2020

Please list the materials used for the barrel of the pens. Which wood or acrylic etc?

Awesome job. I make a lot of pens and I’m always looking for recommendations for pen models and blanks.

1 Like

Thanks so much. No, it has a deep gouge from when it hit the tool rest on its way across the garage. The gouge was too deep to sand out before finishing. It has several other handcrafted defects, too.

1 Like

Aka “distressed”

1 Like

“Maker’s Mark”

It’s how you know its hand made

2 Likes

Masks. Making lots and lots of masks…

10 Likes

Pitcher thrown at the Dallas Makerspace.

11 Likes

Thought I’d post something to give ideas to the CNC routing folk as DMS reopens. My grandson played basketball for and has now graduated from Pittsburg State University (yes, that is spelled correctly … it’s in Kansas). Made this 16"x20" commemorative plaque using cherry and incorporated a half-tone carving technique to produce the school sports logo.

EDIT: A revision plan has been developed to edit this so Bachelor is spelled correctly. New photo will be posted when completed. Hate it when my eyes read what is supposed to be there instead of what silly fingers come up with! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

The revised finished plaque is here: Show and Tell June 2020

10 Likes

Do you have a pattern you can share? These are cool. Do you make them for a profit or are you donating a bunch of the.

Do they spell Bachelor differently in Kansas?

5 Likes

Only when my silly fingers are involved! :rage:

2 Likes

Doh! If the back side looks decent (maybe after sanding) it would eventually make (IMO) a funny conversational piece. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll fix it and post a new and improved photo.
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

This batch is all wood. Left to right. 1) Dyed/stabilized maple burl, 2) Dyed/stab spalted maple,
3) Cherry, 4) Dyed/stab crosscut spalted maple, 5) Red cedar, 6) Canarywood, 7) Black walnut,
8) Bubinga, 9) Eucalyptus.

Facebook groups have been a good source for auctions of dyed/stabilized woods. I am happy to outsource that to individuals who do it well. And a chance to support another small business.

5 Likes

This is totally a mistake I could have made as well. While I’m low on caffeine at the moment, I didn’t notice it myself. As quickly as @jrkriehn found it, I think I’ll have her look over my resume the next time I update it. :laughing:

3 Likes

Splel cheek is yore freind, execpt wen it makes us layze,…which it sertenly has doen fore mi. No read sqwigly? A-OK… :expressionless:

#4 had a blowout with that very last cut. You know, that point when you say “should I sand the rest or do one more cut?” I really liked the blank, so I used 5 min epoxy mixed with turquoise mica powder to fill it. After curing overnight for good measure, it turned down just fine.

7 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve turned a couple of acrylic pen blanks, but I’m especially fond of wood. One of my favorites is “found” wood. A downed tree with extraordinary grain, a burl given to me by a friend from a tree he felled, or wood another friend who made guitars and pool sticks and had a little “scap ebony leftover”. Pens can be made from all kinds of materials and kits. That is what makes it an interesting hobby to me.

I’ve made a few for people who wanted to pay me but mostly I give most of them away for gifts. I made a pen and pencil set for my friends on their 50th wedding anniversary. They had travelled to Israel and shared their pictures with us, so I made the set from olive wood from there. I also used our lasers to engrave the case. My son and I made one for his friend who is a big time realtor in Denver. He uses it to sign all of his sales contracts. It is definitely a cool hobby.

Yours are very nice. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

We facilitated a business alliance with international signatories. Each contract signer received a handmade pen from indigenous spalted Texas pecan. They thought it was a nice touch.

1 Like

Any suggestions for pen refills? The ones that come in the slimline pen kits skip a lot and make the pen more of a decorative piece than a functional pen