Show and Tell February 2021

Two intarsia (inlay) cats in ash and sapele, painstakingly laser cut after a wonderful class by @nicksilva. The outer edges of the backing are also veneered. All the veneer edges around the perimeter, including the lamella (top), were beveled for a seamless looking border.

@coloneldan - please thank your friends at Gulfstream for the generous veneer donations.

23 Likes

Beautiful. Proud teacher!

3 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

I sent a copy of the pictures to Leanne at Gulfstream today along with some of Nick’s, too. Beautiful work both of you!!

3 Likes

Forgive me for asking but what does SVG stand for?

1 Like

It’s an image filetype, It’s Scalable Vector Graphics

2 Likes

New sticker design, I really like it.

8 Likes

So how do you make custom stickers? That’s something I’ve wanted to do.

Upload to stickermule, can get a sample of 10 stickers for about $10

1 Like

the 2nd of 12 wood veneer ornament prototypes for a class in July.
weighs less than 1 oz so it won’t take the tree down.

11 Likes

Third of Twelve veneered Christmas ornaments. Something more traditional. All are natural or dyed maple veneer.

8 Likes

Aluminoid Tensegrity

For more info on tensegrity structures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensegrity

And click the link below to see video of it.

Here are Google Images of tensegrity structures:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tensegrity&hl=en&sxsrf=ALeKk00Q7J_pWq7blg_cplJf2Bk2xjKQVw:1613233081813&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwimy5_GoefuAhVKHc0KHebWCdIQ_AUoAXoECB8QAw&biw=1536&bih=758

6 Likes

Fourth of Twelve veneered Christmas ornaments. Something more traditional. All are natural or dyed maple veneer.

4 Likes

A few more knife handles. No idea how, but the tip broke off the chefs knife. Anyone out here able to help grind it back into a point? That’s beyond my skill level.

12 Likes

Not part of my veneered ornaments, but just wanted to experiment to see if I could engrave on some 10 mil wood veneer without burning it up. I see some real possibilities with this. Guess I’ll have to incorporate that into the class too. Cheers!

8 Likes

Had to do Something since I’m shut in like most everyone else.
Here is the 5th of 12 wood veneered ornaments for a future class.
Natural and dyed maple wood. Now that I’ve figured out engraving the veneer, I think I’ll start engraving the backs of some of these with Sayings, silly stuff or even Christmas carols. Some of the lyrics from “Little Drummer Boy” might go with this. cheers!

5 Likes

Someone who has power, please post a snowman.

3 Likes

Here you go.

10 Likes

ok, well the weather sure felt like Christmas. Here’s another wood veneer ornament with some words of cheer on the back.

6 Likes

I started this a week ago Friday. Then the snow came… but it’s in its new home and my garage couldn’t be happier.
Thank you Patrick , Andy, and Hanna for helping load it on the trailer . You guys rock,

Check out the angle cuts

20 Likes