Show and Tell December 2020

Kindness Matters dye sub masks that a teacher friend is giving to her students for Christmas. She works with special needs kids, and puts her whole heart into it.

15 Likes

Broken window glass wreath fused. I think it will be nicer with a bow and colored lights, on a colored wall

16 Likes

10 Likes

My second time updating a 3D file in tinkercad. The original was the one with the squares and I just wanted a regular pen/pencil holder. Also everything is better if it glows in the dark!

16 Likes

Amboyna burl fountain pen and flame-colored copper earrings. I’m working on them at home now, but want to give a big THANK YOU to John Gorman and Cairenn Day for teaching me the basics for these 2 years ago!

Liza Hendricks

13 Likes

I hand built this porcelain fishy bank (piggy bank but fishier) and then finished it with raku. It came out very beautifully, this has to be my all time favorite ceramics piece I’ve made! :fish:

16 Likes

I did a pair of presentation boxes for gift this year. Unfortunately, the span of time between initial design, cutting, receipt of hardware, and assembly was … considerable … thus hurry up and wait instead became wait and hurry up.

In both cases there was the usual comedy of minor design errors, fixes, bodges, and expediencies (I shall leave their observation and possible enumeration as an exercise to the reader). Time pressures, the reality of my cuts being less … line fitting … and execution of glueups led to the decision not to apply a finish. The apparent unavailability of the Zing on my cutting days lead to no engraving of the hooch box.

• Designed using an AutoCAD clone
  • Materials
    • 5mm underlayment
    • 2mm EVA foam (hand cut, unfortunately)
    • 2" hinges (hooch)
    • Toolbox style clasp (hooch)
    • Minimalist clasp (blaster)
    • Titebond II adhesive (wood-to-wood)
    • Tacky Glue quick-dry (foam-to-wood)
  • Assembly
    • 220 grit sandpaper to clean up edges, soot from cutting
    • Putty knife, 220 grit sandpaper to remove glue squeezeouts
    • Misc tools (files, handsaw) to modify design errors on both boxes
    • Clamps - not enough yet too many - to execute glueups

I swear if I ever do this again, I will wait until I have hardware in hand before committing to the design. That and I’ll stop making mid-course design changes after I’ve documented the individual parts. That and learn how to glue more neatly so that finishing is possible. And maybe cough up for better plywood than tri-ply underlayment with near paper-thin outer faces.

Hooch

My de facto brother-in-law will be the recipient of some local spirits in a presentation box.

I’ve got better photos taken by a Real Camera™ but the SD card reader has gone missing.

Blaster

My father shall be the recipient of a gag gift:

13 Likes

More clay, more crochet

Blanket’s a little over half way done.

14 Likes

Over the past several months I’ve been working on my prototype key. Ive been battling fighting tapers in my soft jaws, tapers on the lathe, etc. I was finally able to get success. I bought 9/16 303 stainless rod & a 9/16 5C collet for the chuck. I machined my 9/16 on the Colchester to .550”. Last night I put the soft jaws in the HAAS & ran my setups. My first setup is to cut the triangle key portion with a .118 2 flute end mill. The second setup was a flip with a .250 ball nose end mill, then a bore for my spring detent & hex for a wrench. The third setup was a flip to the side with a bore perpendicular to the last setup with the a bore intersecting the spring detent bore. I made the handle with 3/8 304 stainless with groove in the center to catch the detent. I drilled & tapped the spring detent hole to accept the 5/16 stainless set screw. I tried several variants with different spring lengths to get the right spring tension.

This is what I ended up with. The only finishing is deburring the key & scotch bright the handle.

13 Likes

did you list it on Ebay?

Finished my 2020 Commemorative Christmas ornament.

15 Likes

That about sums it up…

Turned a dip pen for my kid for Christmas. It’s made from the branch his swing used to be on from a mulberry we had to cut down.

18 Likes

24 inch giant tree hand cut and textured, currently in a very slow

dry.

12 Likes

So this one was a bit of a new one for me, I’ve never done a triple drawer before, but this is actually part of a brother sister pair, for those who don’t know brother sister pairs are 2 similar but different pieces, sister pairs are 2 identical and mother daughter are identical but ones smaller, but this is just one of the the pair. I’ll try and get some pictures of the other one to post, but I posted in another thread about turning mistakes into design elements, well I got so focused on making the 3 draws fit nice and right side by Side I forgot about the drawer slide and had no room so I had to come up with a pretty cool work around I’d never of thought of if I hadn’t made that mistake, I used soft maple and some less figured bubinga than my last table but still slightly figured, went with a 2 part matte urethane clear coat as a finish

14 Likes

Not yet Josh. Getting a stock built up first.

It’s finally done!

15 Likes

Hey y’all, I’m Paul. Made an end table out of walnut. It was my first time doing bookmatching and I was really happy with how the grain turned out. Finished it with Rubio Monocoat.

29 Likes

Dried and preserved these wedding flowers in resin for a coffee table tray

26 Likes

Polished a couple garnets and another ricohlite serpentine today.

15 Likes