Show and Tell August 2020

Thank you :blush:

I had a custom request for a purple and black facehugger mask. These pieces were all laser cut on Thunder. Stitching laser cut holes is SO MUCH QUICKER.

17 Likes

Elon Musk stickers came in.

4 Likes

Putting a handle on a purchased knife blade for a friend. It matches her truck :slight_smile:

Currently at the “remove all material that’s not part of a knife handle” stage. Finishing in the coming days after some supplies arrive.

13 Likes

My first ever cutting board! Made this last weekend. Walnut, cherry, maple.

Also, I stopped by the woodshop this morning and the air vac machine is down, so no projects today :frowning:

18 Likes

Is this an A95 mask?

Nice! I started a cutting board 18 months ago…

3 Likes

Let’s end August on a 106 degree day with a horse hair firing in the raku kiln!

Oo it was hot!
Open the blue one to see it captured red specks. I’m loving it! The color is actually a deeper blue than it looks in pic

The blue and white are Terra Sigilata and horse hair

15 Likes

Knife update. First coat of Tru-Oil dried.

11 Likes

I’ve seen gun racks in trucks, but I’ve never seen a knife rack in a truck. Maybe it will start a new fad.

3 Likes

You know enough that you scare me slightly :grinning:

2 Likes

Really nice edge profile on this. :100:

Keep it well-oiled, don’t chop/cut on it too hard (it’s a long-grain orientation), and never put in the dishwasher and it will last through your kids and grandkids lifetimes :–)

1 Like

This month was an adventure in milling some 1/4" round brass bar into 0.099 inch “quarter round” with a recess. It was like I imagine milling a noodle would be.

Milling the quarter round was almost anti-climatic after I made the suitable holding fixtures. I used the Bridgeport to make a general purpose holding fixture to clamp two v-blocks onto the table of my Sherline mill. The raised boss down the center keeps the v-blocks aligned to the plate.

IMG_9224_600px

Above it is shown clamped to the Sherline bed directly in the T-slots but the mounting holes are also spaced to fit into the mill tooling plate I made earlier in the year (also on the Bridgeport).

IMG_9230_600px

On a hunch, I milled a “steady rest” on my Sherline for the center of the workpiece (specific to the 1/4" bar). The large channel straddles the raised boss on the fixture plate. I used this a lot - sliding it back and forth more like a following rest.

I subsequently added some chip clearing slots on the bottom.

I also made some small table clamps, based on an idea on the Sherline website. They bolt to the tooling plate, and the angled screws are intended to brace small/thin/irregular parts between two or more clamps. I haven’t used them yet.

9 Likes

I have one in my horse trailer.

1 Like

Hey –
Here’s some pictures of the first book Capt made with the leather we got from the sale.
This is a saddle stitch book, one of the simplest he makes. Since we decided that the grey was “elephant”, it’s got a jungle endpaper.

19 Likes

That wrinkly-textured leather was probably the most interesting single hide I saw in the sale. You probably have enough leather In that hide to make a dozen more.

Thanks for sharing.

Paging @coloneldan

2 Likes

Very cool. I’ll share with our friends at Gulfstream Air. Thanks for the heads up @HankCowdog

3 Likes

This weekends build
I call it the Light of Jesus
It’s fricken Glows :heart_eyes:
I made this cross out Yellow heart, cypress, and cherry

7 Likes

I had someone ask me to make them a NM themed cross. using the colors of the Taos New Mexico plate…
I’m calling this cross Taos

8 Likes

SubZero tossing a 90lb bot 30ft away in the air.

Powder coating chassis #2

8 Likes