Show and Tell April 2023

Back on April 6th, I posted some free Japanese Cedar shavings that came from milling nine 8"x8"x96" beams . The project behind that work was a low oriental style table to be used as a coffee table and a family game table. The project was inspired by this photo:

The specs called for a 62"L x 62"W x 14"H table with a light colored natural wood look.

Here’s the delivered and assembled table:

All made from the Japanese Cedar beams and finished with Odie’s Oil.

17 Likes

Are those beams solid, or did you do some weight reduction?

Solid and still pretty green. Weight varies, but some of them are heavy as … well, all git out! I’m pretty strong and some of these were absolutely at my limit while still at the 8’ length. Silly me, I saw they had been sticker dried, then had to get shipped here, inventoried and finally sold. One might fool themselves into thinking they would be reasonably dry by now and one would be very, very wrong. Left a lot of surface unsealed so moisture could escape over time. Won’t be surprised if I don’t do some follow up finishing a year or so down the road.

Hello,
I’m Gage. I’m new to the community. Ten years ago I studied some metal smithing and jewelry craft for one year, before changing my degree to acting. I got stuck working some time consuming jobs trying to make ends meet. Today I work at a law firm that has allowed me to have consistent hours, and pursue my creativity again.

I haven’t made anything in the seven years since graduating, but so far I’ve made these two pieces. As you see in the photos, one is a hat pin, and the other is a bolo tie.

The hat pin is made from a shed antler my brother gave me. Socketed into the antler is a Mona Lisa Turquoise. It was mined in Nevada.

The bolo tie is textured and engraved brass over a slice of agate. I hand cut the silhouette of the deer using a hand jeweler’s saw. Part of the texture on the brass is from the metal being rolled through a rolling mill with a piece of corn husk. I then used engraving burs to emphasize some of the deeper texture to look more like trees. The bolo tips are brass and bullet shaped. They were purchased.

I’m wanting to create a western themed jewelry business eventually. So, I’m honing my skills, and building up a portfolio.

I welcome any critiques. If you have input that may help create better and more marketable pieces for the future, I’m interested in hearing it.

17 Likes

It has been a bit since I started this one. I guess this qualifies as an antique. Was in the cottage my parents bought in '79 and it was old then. I got it when I moved out.

So… drum sanded surface and put the legs on the lathe and sanded them. Finished with tung oil.

19 Likes

This looks great!

1 Like

Yesterday, I decided to make a few pens for several of my wife’s friends. Both are heavily involved in music presentations, choir leadership and singing so I chose the music pen kit from Penn State Industries.

The pens are below. One is made with exclusively masur birch and the other is a combination of ebony wood on the top and olive wood on the bottom: My wife was pleased with the gifts which she’ll give to them this weekend. (I edited this to change the picture to a clearer picture of the pen kit)

9 Likes

Couscous salad with lemon caper dressing.

Since multiple people asked for the recipe at the potluck today, here it is:
Salad:
2 cups of pearl couscous
3 cups vegetable broth
1/2 stick of butter
One yellow bell pepper finely diced
One red bell pepper finely diced
3 green onions finely diced
One garlic clove crushed
A handful of fresh basil shredded
Tiny Mozzarella balls

Dressing:
Juice of 2 small lemons
Enough olive oil to make a vinaigrette
Half a jar of small capers drained
Black pepper
Salt

Make the couscous in the broth
When done stir in the butter
When cooled add the rest of the ingredients and stir.

Mix the lemon juice, oil and capers to make the vinaigrette.

Pour the vinaigrette on right before serving and stir.

Salt and pepper to taste

9 Likes

Steamroller block and finished print:

15 Likes

Definitely hard to counterfeit!