Should I advertise classes on Meetup?

This morning @bill referenced in another Topic that DMS had previously advertised on Meetup. I know essentially nothing about Meetup but this brings up a question.

I have been averaging around two Arduino related classes per month. I like to offer free classes as a way to expose more people to this fun hobby. Being retired, of course I accept the honorarium which helps pay for supplies and benefits the Electronics Committee. The classes seem popular as registration fills quickly and averages about 30% non-members. Currently my only advertising is the Talk forum and passing out flyers at Tanner Electronics and amateur radio events.

Should I advertise on Meetup and offer the classes four or more times a month? On the positive side, it would bring in a lot more non-members and some would likely join. The negative side would be the increased cost of honorariums. I am sensitive to the recent debate about using DMS as a source of significant income but believe even the increase would leave me way below the level of any concern.

I have no problem with those who choose to charge cash, EventBright or other means of charging. Please try to keep this thread on the question:

Should I advertise classes on Meetup and run more classes when I receive honorariums?

4 Likes

Just as a random member speaking, I’d say run more classes. But – I wouldn’t make them all honorarium. Maybe, out of 7, 4 are honorarium? And – charge the attendees a small fee to cover the supplies. Or, maybe you could make them all honorarium, but 3 go completely to Electronics.

As an accounting person, I’d remind folks (in general, not just you) that the honorarium doesn’t bring any $ into DMS. Charging a nominal fee for supplies does bring $ into DMS. Given that charging $5 or $10 for the classes you’re offering should be a sweet deal vs any other class they might get for the same thing, it shouldn’t put anybody off on DMS.

5 Likes

A single non-member becoming a member each month offsets that.

The solution to your dilemma seems clear … Briefly during the class sell the idea of becoming a member. Have RIFD tags to give out. Have brochures to give out.

You are doing precisely what our mandate says we should be doing. Keep doing it. Do it more.

7 Likes

Thanks for the support.

@dryad2b My use of the word supplies probably implies consumables or something the students take home. Actually, I furnish parts kits for use in the class which I keep and reuse. I try to roll out a new class every few months. Cost of parts for a new class is often between $15 and $100.

@brian @team_pr Good idea. I mention membership but could do a better job of it. What brochure do we use? Is there a document for new members? Where are RFID tags? Do we have info on helping a new member sign up?

4 Likes

@NightRanger was working on coordinating some meetup postings and might be of help

2 Likes

I am going to I’m going to suggest that maybe you get with someone who can offer you’re non-member students a quick tour of the space after the class. I make sure that they know that they can get a tour of the space and learn all the other things. I ran into somebody who’d been coming to some non-member classes recently and they had no idea we had a woodshop so doing a little promotion is probably worthwhile

4 Likes

RFID tags…

2 Likes

A brochure or card with a QR code or whatever should provide be available for us to provide. It should be THE go to information that has been crafted by PR to be a professional, accurate message, and vetted by whoever needs to. It’s probably the one chance we have to make our pitch, and the pitch should be really really good, and not rely only on me to do it best.

3 Likes

@tomthm first of all, you’re awesome and I’m sure you’ll do a great job.

Second, PR has a printed brochure in the to-do list.

2 Likes

Hey Brady,

You should definitely try out advertising a class on Meetup as there are 4,912 people interested in making of which 169 are specifically interested in “Electronics”. You wouldn’t be drawing in new members just for DMS, but also for Electronics Committee.

My recommendations for a first time Meetup poster are:
*Post at least 10 days out from your event
*Realize that many Meetup guests are not DMS members and will have trouble finding the entrance let alone your classroom - they’ll also need to sign the waiver if it’s their first time
*Do a class specifically for Meetup guests. Do not try to mix an event for DMS members and guests until you’ve hosted one or two Meetup events. Book your event through the DMS calendar as normal but leave 0 spots open to sign up.
*Do not mix Eventbrite into the confusion. If you want to charge, charge through Meetup.

But, these are just my personal recommendations and I’ll be happy to assist you in using DMS’s Meetup however you would like to try.

I think after using Meetup no more than a couple of times, you’ll know if it’s a fit for your classes and judge whether or not it’ll be enough of a funding source for your classes. I’d be more than happy to answer any questions, help set you up and make things as easy as possible but recognize that there will be the standard sign-up hassle that comes with any new service.

If you’d like to get started, register with Meetup, join the DMS Meetup group and let me know so I can grant you the highly coveted Event Organizer status to begin posting events.

Have a good one!
Eric

2 Likes

And we also have a coupon code for guests that will them $10 off their first month.

1 Like

Eric - I really like most of your comments but I don’t care to exclude DMS members from a class where I would get an honorarium. I was impressed by the DMS group link and signed up. My plate is pretty full now with a new DMS class next week and two large external events based on my classes within the next few weeks. I will be interested in posting to Meetup in about a month. I really want to talk and hopefully meet to exchange ideas. I just PM’ed my phone number to you.

Brady

2 Likes

@Team_PR If I start trying to pull in potential new members, I would like to have about three slides that I could add to my presentation. Do you have anything like this available?

3 Likes

That’s a great idea. Slides with a consistent message that includes the key points would valuable in all classes. I’ll use them.

2 Likes

That would make us look organized!

1 Like