Should DMS adopt an opt-in privacy policy?

Probably. Acronyms in my line of work all run together at a certain point and I generally don’t care enough to memorize them other than the result of whatever the law or policy is

Fair enough, but IF the current conversation swings one of the contested directions and ALL current and/or former members contact information were to be made available, there MIGHT need to be consideration for any minors’ information that might be caught up in such a sweep. To be fair, I have no idea what is collected when I pay for an add-on for my 16 year old to work in the *shop with me, but I suspect name, phone number, and email address (as I believe those are, roughly, what is requested for the waiver I must fill out on their behalf).
So, it MIGHT become relevant, depending on the outcomes of this conversation, some possible court cases, some judges’ opinions, etc. regardless of their ability to vote within DMS.

But not because FERPA.
MAYBE some other reason.

2 Likes

Lol pretty much my approach to it. I don’t remember what specific legislation says I can’t add the Christian song requested for the class playlist. I could look it up but knowing that doing it can get me in big trouble suffices.

Alternatively it’s a good thing I didn’t go with lawyer because such details matter when you’re in court…or be a fantastic one with paralegal minions