Should DMS adopt an opt-in privacy policy?

Do you care if other members want the board to give up your mailing address, email address, and phone number(s)?

Would you prefer to set your own boundaries on what (if any) personal info DMS releases?

Did you know dragonflies are neither dragons, nor flies?

Discuss!

1 Like

Are you talking about opt-in to be on the list that gets handed out to anyone requesting a way to contact the members? I think the default should be no info is given out.

2 Likes

The only truly private information that DMS maintains about ANY of its members is the social security number of teachers who have requested to receive honorariums.

Every thing else people are making a fuss about is not privateā€¦ all of it can be found by just about anyone because you use phones with gps location, web browsers full of cookies with your personal information, youā€™ll have tons of accounts on things like face book, linked in, twitter, etcā€¦ ALL of your ā€˜personalā€™ information is already out there. In short, the only way to keep things like your mailing address, phone number, email address ā€˜privateā€™ is to never enter them into any government database, donā€™t send any emails, donā€™t call anyone with your phone. If you use it, the information is made available. It will get out ā€˜thereā€™.

That said, state law states that any corporate record is viewable by any member who has a legitimate reason. Membership records are part of the corporate record. Our board and its attorney say this information is not available. The bottom line is that if/when someone pushes this to a court hearing it will be resolved. The members concerns about their ā€˜privacyā€™ will mean absolutely nothing if/when that happens.

The default would be No Info.

Members would be able to opt if they want their mailing address, email address, and/or phone number(s) shared. Each piece of info would have an option to share or not.

2 Likes

But after that it will become and argument of what is a valid legitimate reason.

IMO, ā€œIā€™m running for DMS boardā€ is not a legitimate reason to email or call me. If you want to buy a stamp and send me a letter, Iā€™m good with that.

ETA Notice to any future candidate: if youā€™re running for the board and you spam me on my phone or email, you lost my vote.

Others may not want to be bothered at all.

As others have said, I will begrudgingly change my contact phone number to my Charter bundled landline that doesnā€™t even connect to a phone, change my mailing address to a PO box that I check once a month, and change my e-mail to the one all my spam goes to. People I know, know how to get in touch.

Just because the government (or companies that Iā€™ve chosen to give my info to) has my info, doesnā€™tā€™ mean I want every person with a ā€œlegitimate reasonā€ to get it too.

1 Like

While not a perfectly exact/equal comparison (i.e. state not exactly equal non-profit corporation) consider the fact that in (I assume) all states, if you are registered to vote in elections, state or federal, your registration information is, by law, provided to any/all campaigns upon request, sometimes for a nominal fee. There is no ā€œOpting Outā€, AFAIK. One ā€œOpted Inā€ by registering to vote.

1 Like

And again if the board says no, a court can say yes. If the board has a pattern of saying no, the court can say yes and hand out fines for non-compliance. We are a public non-profit. The law says the records are available. The purpose of allowing voting records (which include your contact information) has been accepted by the board and covers that ā€˜polticingā€™ is a valid reason. That we allow any regular member to vote at the drop of the hat, would indicate that the contact information for regular members would also be made available. Given the boards position, the final determination will have to await a court case. I just hope it doesnā€™t cost DMS too much when that happens.

What Iā€™m asking is, if we could change that, would people want to?

2 Likes

We can pass any rule we like. The courts will make the final decision if that rule is acceptable.

YES. I hate all the calls I get during election season. If I could Iā€™d block them all.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone at DMS has access to the GPS information on my phone. Just because I allow Google to collect location information in order to provide a service does not mean that I want my contact information given out for DMS campaigns ā€œand moreā€.

5 Likes

I keep hearing this, but I never hear of a lawsuit.

If you want to litigate it and waste our money, go for it. Until then, the board said no.

1 Like

What you want is largely irrelevent. The information is available, sometime for free (from the government), and sometime for free or for cost to companies. You have stated on here that you carry a CHL, you undoubtedly have a drivers license, a quick

Without spending more then sixty seconds, I turned up the following

https://www.youtube.com/user/AndrewLeCody
https://twitter.com/AndrewLeCody?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-lecody-37307148

Simply datamining these sites will reveal an amazing amount of information about yourself and your friends. That is part of what I mean about how much of this very basic information is already available from those who are worried about their ā€˜privacyā€™.

I donā€™t think anyone at DMS has access to the GPS information on my phone.

We need a class on how to hack someoneā€™s iPhone GPS. Would that be Electronics, or Programming?

1 Like

I doubt he and Mark actually want to sue the space, because even if they win, anything they endorse or touch will be tainted as ā€œthose assholes who sued the spaceā€. Defeating the whole point of trying to get the contact info in the first place.

4 Likes

I would. Because I am selfishā€¦I want to have my cake and eat it too.

The issue, at core, is balancing privacy rights, like the right to be left alone, with citizen (or member) duties, obligations, responsibility, etc. Iā€™d like to be able to vote, requiring registration, so people who think the way i do are in office, and NOT have to take the chance to get called up for jury duty. Because I am selfish. But that is not the way it works because people smarter than me have decided that some trade-offs have to be mandated. To stop selfish people from acting selfishly.

edit: stoopid spel chekur

Congrats Walter, you found the public info that I intentionally posted publicly. Now where in there is my phone number, my secure/private e-mail? :slight_smile:

Edit: Also you missed my github, which makes me a bit sad.

5 Likes

There was a cranky old dude who kept threatening to sue the condo board where one of my parents (a retired trial lawyer) lives, for various ticky-tack violations of the HOA code.

My parent volunteered to represent the condo board pro bono (up to a certain number of hours) and told the old crank to sue or shut up.

He moved shortly afterward.