Shops that will cut steel for me?

About a year ago someone was kind enough to have a steel plate cut down to 2" strips for me. As it turned out the Spaces shear is worn out and useless so they took it to a shop and had it done, Does anyone know of such a shop in or near Garland where I can have a 1’ square of 12 Gage steel turned into 3" pieces? I would like an address and phone number if you please? Please note, I’m not asking anyone at the Space to do this for me, I’m trying to do this myself.

@HankCowdog

I don’t know anyplace that you can bring your own parts in to cut orher than the makerspace, but metals4uonline or metal supermarket could cut pieces that size.

1 Like

The dynatorch and I would be happy to do it for you.
The shears only go to 16 ga.

2 Likes

I tried Metal Marketplace once, they seemed reluctant to cut metal to size for my project.

Unfortunately for me I need to cut a 12" x 12" 12 Ga, (0.1") sheet steel. I finished the drawing this morning. I got the sheet steel yesterday from Amazon. I would cut it up with my bandsaw but the blade walks in sheet stock (even with a fence) and I don’t know how to stop it. I’m making a custom hotplate for SMT components. The steel metal will go between the heating elements. Here is the drawing, it is meant to be printed using M$ Paint,.

I’ll be cutting the wooden base this afternoon. Wood is a much easier material to work with IMO.

Agreeing with @procterc and adding, if the kerf of the 45a fine cut tip was Within tolerances that could easily be quick cut on the dynatorch.
If not, my other suggestion would be a cut off wheel on a 4 inch angle grinder and just take a silver Sharpie to Mark out your guidelines.

If I wasn’t out of town this week, I would be happy to help you with this but unfortunately, I’m not in Dallas this week.

@wendy, Coremark in North Fort Worth can do it. But they are in North Fort Worth, they should be able to ship that easily. They have a 70$ minimum I believe. Call them & saw you need some small fabrication done.

Also keep in mind that steel prices have doubled from what they were a few months ago.