Sherline Lathe Class?

So I was looking at events today and have hit my first roadblock in sign up restrictions.

I found Learn to create a Turner’s Cube on the Sherline Lathe and looked at it:
Thought it sounded awesome,
Saw that there wasn’t any prerequisites listed in the main event page,
Grabbed my credit card to get ready to pay for the registration,
Clicked “Register for this class”…

AND BAM!
I got slammed in the face with a “you don’t have the prerequisite training to sign up for this” page. (Ow! My face! :scream:)

So firstly #issues-requests , if you could put that requirement on the main event page instead of hidden on the registration, we might just save some others people faces the same fate as mine… (Whhhhhyyy the pain!!!)

Secondly and most importantly, to #metal-shop, is there a chance of a Sherline Lathe Basics class being offered within the next 2 weeks before this class, or maybe someone can meet up sometime for a quick 1 on 1, so I can get that juicy training credential and then be able to sign up for this awesome sounding class???
I’m off work till pretty much the end of the month, so ‘Sherline’ (Booo! Bad pun!) it must be possible someone can meet up with me at some point in the next 2 weeks.
I’m completely willing to bribe with food and/or drink! :innocent: #shameless

Thanks all!
-Luke

Better results may be had by appealing to #machine-shop under whose purview the Sherlines lie (and under which category this post is placed :thumbsup: ) but that’s really academic in this scenario.

I know Nick has said he’s out of the teaching biz for the next couple weeks, but I don’t know about anyone else who might be willing/able to help out.

Also, mentioning @wandrson as the instructor to appeal for the addition of the pre-req in the description.

1 Like

Description updated.

This class will be offered again, possibly as much as twice a month. I’ll decide after the first class.

3 Likes

Well still, if anyone in #machine-shop (Ha! Did it right this time!) would like to run me through the basics so I can be ‘Certified’ and meet the pre-req; I’d love to be able to knock it out this month while I still have the available free time, and no need to juggle my schedule around. As for the coming months my work will be picking up and free time will fall to a premium.
Again, offer of free food and/or drinks still apply! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

My apologizes, but August just seem to be the month when everyone was off. I myself am limiting myself to 5 classes a month which are booked for this month. Additionally my efforts are currently in revamping the sherline slides and planning a class to show how to use the new accessories. I will resume a couple of Sherline lathe classes in September. I’ve constantly put out a request for more teacher/volunteers with little success. I’m going to schedule a ‘teach the teachers’ class to try to remedy the problem.

As to the OP - The earliest I have a free day is this Weds.evening and possibly Thursday since I tend to have the HAAS running for tour night. contact me if either will work for you. A small donation to the machine shop would be appreciated. Class is normally $5.

3 Likes