Shear and Slip Roll Availability

In the Jewelry and Small Metal Lab, do we have a shear that I can cut some K & S 0.010 yellow brass.
I need to cut this into 0.040 wide strips a few inches long.
Is training required?
Where is the tool stored?

1 Like

There’s a small shear in Machine hop, 12"-18" wide that may work for you.

1 Like

I’d start with the MS shear that @Photomancer describes above. It’s less likely to curl the material when cutting but precision will be challenging.

Failing that, Jewelry has a small guillotine shear that is perfectly capable of cutting .010 thick brass. It’s stored on a small table in the front of the area. There is no training required.

However, since it works like a paper cutter, it tends to curl the stock. IIWM, I’d put some blue tape on the table as my cutting guide, .040" from the blade. I would keep the piece you want to keep - i.e., the .040" wide strip, on the cutting table - probably secured with DS tape. In my experience, small cutoff pieces curl and the piece on the table usually doesn’t.

You will probably also have to clamp something on top of your strip to keep it from moving. There are a couple #12-24 threaded sockets in the table that you could use for clamping.

2 Likes

The guillotine shear in the Jewelry lab works great! However, do we have the gage stop for it or is it missing?

I have never seen the gauge stop. This doesn’t mean anything though … @nausser915, have you ever seen it?

No, there is not one.

1 Like