Sharpening turning tools

I took the lathe basics class and learned a lot about turning including how to sharpen the carbide tips. However, we did not cover any techniques for sharpening the high speed steel gauges using the grinding wheel.

Is there a class where this is covered directly?

Can anyone offer any tips or a quick how?

Thanks!
Andy Rumpler

1 Like

This isn’t as straightforward as sharpening the easy tool bits, as I think you have surmised, and is different from gouge to gouge, as well as from turner to turner. The internet will have some knowledge available of course, but if you are looking for some hands-on, looking over the shoulder kind of help, I suggest finding Jimmie Arledge when he is there, typically during the days, or Matt K. (@mkart) when he is there, typically during the evenings. Others may volunteer some knowledge as well.

Experimenting is not a great idea, BTW. Take it from me…

4 Likes

I’ll be up there this weekend. Likely early Sat. Happy to show you how to use the wolverine jig and whatnot. Agree with Marshall, I experimented my way through about half of a bowl gouge before Jimmy and Matt showed me a couple of things.

5 Likes

I noticed the wolverines bases are installed with the handles toward the back. We need to flip that so they are towards the front. Otherwise it won’t lock on the platform if you pull it away to drop the angle.

I can also assist when I’m at the space.

5 Likes

I’d be very interested in a class on this Matt. It is a technique which all lathe turners need to perfect.

5 Likes

I think a good sharpening class would great - not just lathe tools, but wood chisels, hand plane knives etc

4 Likes

I’m also happy to pitch in when I’m there… In the meantime, I find Lyle Jamieson’s video’s to be helpful. Here is one on fingernail grind for bowl gouge…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zUph9zEjck

Doug Thompson from Thompson tools has a good one, too, and he covers more types of tools.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj8_feuSTR6ZFS35DulszcA

1 Like

I would take that class.

1 Like

I would too, very interested

At the woodshop meeting, we discussed buying good, but lower priced roughing gouges and bowl gouges. We should have a few in the next couple of weeks.

One of the reasons for the lower cost tools is a lot of metal is lost in learning to sharpen these tools. But it is worth learning (always use a sharp tool). Still, they are pretty close in quality to the much pricier ones. Its a good investment.

3 Likes

I spent several hours sharpening plane blades this week. The result is worth it though. All my planes are sharp and working like they should.

3 Likes