Sharpening drill bits

Post must be at least 50 characters, so here they are.

6 Likes

I have been watching a lot of his videos.

As my old shop teacher used to lecture us, remember if you are buying hardened drills they are often only hardened at the tip. Sharpening a drill grinds off the hardened steel at the tip and the drill might be good in wood or soft metal but won’t last in steel.

I have a drill-master sharper I’d be willing to let the shop use for an afternoon of sharpening if you wanna borrow it. Let me know -

1 Like

Does the drill master offer still stand?

sure does - it’s doing nothing in my garage but gathering dust. Machine shop is welcome to use it.

Let me know when & where

Generally machine shop doesn’t sharpen bits. If @nicksilva wants to change the course all ears, but there are a few problems with regrinds:

• tolerance is farther off
  • any hardened coating is gone and the bit won’t be nearly as good for steel use
  • we don’t have enough sorting for regrinds versus non-sharpened for those that need to stay within a margin.

If I were going to use one of the reamers for example, I’d like to know that the drill bit for the initial hole hasn’t been undersized besides normal wear

I don’t know about the Machine Shop, but I suspect the Wood Shop drill bits could all(?) use sharpening. They could also benefit from some sort of storage organization other than being thrown loosely into a drawer.

@Team_Woodshop are you interested?

1 Like

Yup

Need more details, but yeah we’re interested

1 Like

I can bring it by some time. Like I said - it’s just collecting dust in my workbench.

One was purchased with the new drill press. So the space has one now :slight_smile:

Not necessarily…you are correct in what you say, but most drills that are made to drill through steel and harder materials are hardened from tip to shank. A correctly sharpened drill bit will still cut with ease through stainless

Do you know what specific sharpener we purchased? product link? Is it this one?

Drill Doctor

https://www.drilldoctor.com/drill-doctor-750x.html