Shaper Origin Handheld CNC

What is the benefit of getting it with the workstation?

Everything. Get it. Saves on major tape use. Awesome for joinery. Totally worth.

1 Like

Not having to use lots of the Shaper tape at $18 a roll.

1 Like

Thanks. Shaper should hire you for a spokesperson i’m Like 95% there on getting one

3 Likes

@jensenXnewman I truly don’t think you’d be disappointed, I was skeptical about how it would do, it is shockingly accurate. Practiced bow ties last night, the possibilities are endless.

About Shapertape. There’s actually someone out there that has created a Shapertape generator where you can print it out on a piece of paper and use it that way. I have also seen people make permanent Shapertape boards. The camera faces outward so as long as it can see tape, you can set up the workspace and use that workspace over and over. I’m only a few days in and the proprietary stuff I was originally concerned about is no longer a concern.

It was a ton of money, yes. Wait for a “sale” to milk as much as you can out of it. The pricing seems to be set for now so take the extras where you can. If you decide to get it, HMU if you want a way to save moneys on it and get some extra “stuff” !

2 Likes

Uggh. I want this bad you are making me super jealous. Should try to convince the space to get one :wink:

1 Like

One rabbit hole starts here: https://github.com/ShyftXero/ShaperPaper

2 Likes

Wishing I didn’t have to bowl tonight.

1 Like

Let me help you with that :smiley:

Merry Christmas :christmas_tree::snowman::santa::gift::beers::tada:

3 Likes

LOL! Merry Christmas to you too, my friend!

1 Like

This is a little late, but there is an add-in created by Shaper for Fusion 360 that exports directly from F360 to SVG. You can get it from F360 App Store. I don’t have an Origin, but I had a need to export to SVG and ran across it, for what I used it for, it worked like a charm.

3 Likes

Also a little late but you also can create SVGs in Inkscape or Illustrator and for simple 2d cuts either one is sufficient.
Adobe Creative Cloud (for Illustrator) is “only” 19.99 (plus tax) per month if you sign up with an .EDU address. https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/students.html That’s a one-year price. Currently you can get that pricing again for another year if you say you want to cancel your account and choose the “can’t afford it” option - click through and they’ll offer you a lower price per month or a refund/discount on the pay-once-per-year option.

1 Like

Whaaaat!!! Awesome!

Welp I went into Rockler to buy a bit and walked out with a shaper and worktable (plus the bit). Can’t wait to get started!

10 Likes

We can all learn together!

1 Like

This is fantastic! Even if you need DXFs for the end tool, Inkscape has strong editing tools to fix them export. I wonder if this handles joins and closes loops better. It will be great to explore.

1 Like

So, do you love it???

I actually haven’t used it yet lol. I was in the middle of spraying finish when I got it and I didn’t want to kick up a bunch of dust. I have another week of finishing then I can go to town!

1 Like

It is amazingly low on the dust production. I haven’t finished a project with mine yet, but I love it so far.

2 Likes

Agree. The dust control was well designed. I’ve been playing around so much with the gantry cnc I haven’t done a whole lot with the SO but I did do the syatainer foam insert carve (mostly successfully). And I took 30 minutes to practice box joints yesterday. Limitless!

2 Likes