Shapeoko Upgrade

@jphelps may be the one to ask but…

I have a diode laser (Emblazer brand) that I simply cannot seem to beat. I got it working but it keeps drawing a letter D when I want a circle lol. I’ve read that I can harvest parts from it to upgrade our Shapeoko into a CNC/laser cutter combo but have no real expertise on doing so. Can anyone advise on the best course of action to learn how to do this…or be willing to fix our laser? Is it even a good idea since the double duty would mean the laser got sawdust and what not on it? (I’m sure fees are involved but that’s OK)

If I am barking up the wrong tree with this plan is there an entry level priced laser you’d reccomend? (under $500)

Emblaser or something similar to this? https://darklylabs.com/

I’d say go the attempt to fix the core issue if you have a full and mostly working system. Then look at other options once the cause of failure is understood and not worth pursuing.

I’m not at the space very often of late but would be willing to take a look if timing could be worked out. First thought is something mechanical but just a guess.

Its exactly that one, just their first model without the safety cabinet. I have looked over all the things I know to look at (which isn’t much) and am sure you’re right. You’d laugh if you knew how long it took me to figure out how to trick it into turning on since something is amiss with the homing switch. My level of expertise is being impressed with myself for learning how to blink an LED and that one time I assembled a Shapeoko using their kit.

After June 1st my schedule is wide open and I’m more than happy to compensate in whatever fashion you request for the expertise.

Another thought is to mention this to @Team_Laser and see if they might have a committee event where it would be appropriate to bring your system in for a look-see.