Shapeoko training 2016

I am a relatively new member and would like to engrave some aluminum. I have been told that the Shapeoko is ideal for that. I looked for a training class in Events but did not see one. Is one planned for a weekend (I usually travel during the week) in the reasonably near future?

I would be interested in getting training on this as well.

Thanks for expressing interest. It’s about time for another class or two, let me see if the calendar is letting me schedule anything or if I need to get someone to create something. Alternatively I’m not sure if anyone else feels comfortable doing the intro.

4 Likes

I feel completely comfortable with you doing the intro. Who are you feeling pushback from? I would like to address this privately if you are experiencing something that is not a positive experience for you.

1 Like

@uglyknees

I think Jay was asking if someone else wanted to do the intro class instead of himself.

1 Like

I’m sorry I did misread that - sorry @jphelps

1 Like

I would also be interested in that training class. Weekends preferably.

Count me in for being trained on the Shapeko.

I’d like to get in on some training on it.

I have my own small mill I’m rebuilding and would love to learn more about the shapeoko and carry that knowlege over. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Count me in too. Would love to learn how to use this tool

i would like to learn as well. so much to do. So little time to devote to it.

Okay, I will also chime in with a me too.

I would love to learn as well.

What kind?
(and other spurious characters)

Older one from MAXNC. One of the motors grenaded internally so I’m replacing all three of them. They should be here in a few more days. :slight_smile:

It looks a lot like this one: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/5780655432.html

But mine is in a big plexi housing that the previous owner made himself.

Those MAXNC mills were rebranded Taig Mills with vendor supplies CNC electronics. If you ever need mechanical replacements contact Taig.

I looked up the motors and saw they were 12v .6A with 4 phase (6 wire) 20 ohm windings and bought a different brand with the same specs that were in stock at robotshop.com.

The motors had ferrite components on them that turned powdery and was interfering with the movement of the motors. All 3 had some level of degradation but the X axis was by far the worst - it wouldn’t even turn at all. I took the motor apart and cleaned it as best I could but it was still gritty and would not turn without catching. Funny thing… bearings were all perfect. It was just that failing ferrite crap inside. :frowning:

$110 later… we’ll see how it goes once UPS arrives later this week.

Nick Carter’s website is a phenomenal resource for everything Taig. He has links to a lot of people who have modified their Taig lathes and/or mills.

I’m on business travel this week and the new event system still won’t allow me to create anything so when I get back I’ll get with someone to enter a few classes in November before the holiday.

They didn’t look like any of the pics I could find for Taig mills.

I got the motors today thanks to Brown Santa (UPS) and installed them. They had the same color of wires but different pinouts and I had to re-wire them in 180 degrees out from what the other one was according to their data sheets. Once I got them rewired the router head would plunge into the material instead of lifting away from it. :smiley: