Shapeoko Bit Inventory?

Hello again, so I’m a little confused where the Shapeoko topic belongs but since it was in CA addressing here. If there’s a way to also tag woodshop, be happy to or not sure if I cross post?

Anyways, this morning I was looking in the toolbox since I have recently been trained on the Shapeoko and I wanted to see what sort of bits we have. Unless I’m just blind (which I sure hope not since I work for an optical company of sorts), I could not see anything indicating drill bit sizes. I doubt inventory has been taken anytime recently (if it has please point me to where I can find) but it would be nice if someone could maybe help me identify which bits are which? I don’t want to start a project until I see what we have, but I’m not entirely sure how to tell size and I figure I could label them if someone can work with me to help determine the sizes.

Anyone want to help? Thanks in advance!

Edit: moving to woodshop since no longer under CA ownership

@HankCowdog made some drill bit gauges “recently” which, if found, might make the task quicker/easier…

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ll have to see if I can find where this is hiding, as it looks like it would be useful!

2 Likes

Shapeoko is currently “owned” by Creative Arts.

I don’t know if we have an inventory list … I’m sure it changes because bits get broken. It’s possible that we have a list of bits that we like to have - so we can buy more as we break them.

I didn’t even know we had drill bits for the Shapeoko. Does anyone know if we have an adjustable drill chuck for the Shapeoko? If not, any drill bits would probably have a large shank to fit into a collet. If you’re lucky, they have numbered collars. If not, then you should be able to put a caliper on the drill to measure it.

(photos are from my personal stash - not from the Shapeoko inventory).

drills

I believe we have a couple pointy bits for engraving - including one drag bit. I suspect, but do not know, that those are specified by the included angle at the point.

End mills are a little easier - because we’ve bought so few sizes. We’ve bought the more common smaller sizes - mostly in square end (flat) endmills. I know we have 1/16" (I used it a couple weeks ago). I’m reasonably certain we have 1/8" - possibly 3/32". If we have 1/32" or 1/64" I’ll be surprised because they tend to be broken so easily. I always bring my own when I need those tiny sizes. Some of them may even be in little tubes that are labelled. I’m not showing a ball nose endmill from my personal stash, but they’re obvious from the rounded end.

endmills

In the machine shop we made a small storage block out of a chunk of 2x4, similar to the photo below. This approach works well for me at home, but at DMS we can’t seem to manage to put the endmills away in the proper hole after we use them. (At home, I use a colored peg as a placeholder to remind me where the bit came from).

If you catch me sometime when I’m at the space, I’m glad to help you look through the bits and identify some of them.

2 Likes

I thought it was already the jurisdiction of Woodshop.

It is. I was going to send a note to put it under Woodshop.

Goodbye dear shapeoko. @dr_cee saved you from the pit, ca sheltered you, @jphelps grew you into the dynamic young machine you are, and now fly free with @Team_Woodshop

4 Likes

If Woodshop ever decides to put it up for adoption, Plastics will probably be interested.

You could be right. I will bow out of this part of the discussion.

FWIW, I moved the last couple Shapeoko posts to Woodshop. I also moved it on the tools listing.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing since it can be used for more than wood unlike the Multicam (can it?).

Plastics may be cut on the Multicam after an additional advanced class. It is rarely taught, however.

Plastics and aluminum were previously allowed on the Shapeoko; no policy changes have been announced.

As long as it’s non-ferrous metal, (i.e. no sparks), it should be fine to cut on the shapeoko.

The additional caveat we had put on it when it was in CA was no cutting oil allowed. I’m guessing you will want to retain that restriction.

1 Like

Yes and more characters

1 Like

Well, it would be helpful if I knew what you looked like to try to catch you : ) Love your setup! Also thanks for the pics, perhaps I’ll be able to try to figure some of them out…and then use some tape and write the size on the outside of the plastic holster.

I know there were new bits a year ago, but not sure if they’ve been properly maintained or inventoried. Each bit used to be stored in their original plastic casings that each had a label. Size is important, but type is even more important. Upcut, ballpoint - they have their special purposes.

And you are super smart to pay attention to the bits! They can really make or break a project on that machine. I’m sure it’s not an answer you really want to hear, but buying your own and keeping them close isn’t a bad idea, either. Can’t even recall where we were buying them from, but old invoices or the ever knowledgable @jphelps could give details.

1 Like

Oh I absolutely intend to buy some of my own, but I wanted to do a series of test cuts depending what we have before I go and buy some of my own. Mainly because in a perfect world I’ll buy a few of the Multicam bits I want and also bits for the Shapeoko. I’m a fan of buying things I know I’ll get good use of then buy other things along the way as needed or backups.

Regarding bits for the Shapeoko …

Go to CDC in Richardson for end mills. You’re not going to be machining steel - the bits at CDC will be perfectly adequate and they’ll be about half the price of anywhere else. If you’re carving wood or acrylic those bits will last just about forever. The Shapeoko isn’t putting much of a load on them.

Be advised, however, that CDC is a surplus place so there isn’t a guarantee of what he will have in inventory. I’ve bought lots of small bits there - including many of the ones we’re using on the Sherline Mill in Machine Shop.

If you go to CDC …

• call first - he’s a one man shop and he shuts down occasionally
  • he’s closed on Mondays
  • he doesn’t take credit cards - cash or check only
3 Likes

…and be prepared to be distracted by other bright shiny objects there…

1 Like

A collet inventory would be useful …

1 Like