Shapeoko 2 speed controller replacement

The speed controller on the Shapeoko went out and a replacement has been procured. This new one has two new features; a push button to toggle the spindle on or off independent of the speed setting and a digital display showing 0-100%.

I was able to test it and it works well. Because of the new digital display and push button on/off it will need to be installed differently than the previous one. Given the depth it needs I think the rectangle in this picture is the best place to mount it with the POT and push button routed to the front of the machine where the existing POT and light switch are located.

Volunteer opportunity to complete the installation. I’ve left the new controller in the equipment case shown here.

1 Like

What about right above the main switch facing on a slight up angle? I might have a suitable box.

Any news/updates?

@jphelps do you know if the machine is back together?

No idea, I’m on vacation.

I’ll probably get to it Saturday, but no guarantees.

Finally functional again

:warning: WARNING :warning: it powers up on, so you want to run the control fully counterclockwise before you turn anything on.

I need to redo the box and add a support block, but it’s good for now

4 Likes

Thank you Rich! That looks really good!

But it is a bit rickety, so please be gentle

Thanks for the repairs. Going to need to sit in on the next Shapeoko2 class for a refresher since it went out of commission right after the last one.

Nothing to it and this new exceeds the old one because it has a display showing percent of power to the motor. As we cover in class; for newbies you want 100% power! Turn the knob to the right all the way …

The new speed controller display “%” which isn’t exactly percentage of RPM. It’s the duty cycle of the PWM. We probably ought to get an optical RPM meter and generate a table of “display vs RPM” as Doug Cave suggested.

1 Like

Right but I was going to try and use it after the class to enforce what we went over but it went down and I don’t recall much anymore and my notes aren’t detailed enough for me to feel safe using it without damaging the machine or myself.
But i got the materials needed to try and test stuff out next time a class happens.

1 Like