I spent some time on Sunday tearing down part of the Shapeoko case and wiring so that I could more easily access the bolts to improve the tram which was slanted front to back by more than 1mm. I used a heat gun to break loose the old hot glue holding some of the wires down so that I could partially pull the case off. In doing so I discovered that the variable speed control wire splice is sub-optimal and wiggling it causes random behavior of the spindle. If you use this machine near term make sure you watch for that as it can cause the spindle to run even when the knob is all the way to the left (off).
To address the wiring issue, and make the case completely removable, I’ll be stopping up sometime this week to install JST or Dupont connectors on all the wires that run to the case itself which will make it easy to remove and fix the flaky wiring along the way.
The case is also in need of some attention but that’s less of an issue right now.