Shapeoko 2 class Jan 14th 2020

@jphelps

Hello Jay, forgive the post, but I was unable to find a way to DM/email you. I am extremely interested in your Shapeoko 2 course on Jan. 14th, but it shows to be full. Is there anyway I can get a write in for this course? I have a fair amount of experience in traditional and cnc fabrication with a background in Design. I am flying back into town that afternoon, but baring any unforeseen circumstances, I will not be a no show for your class if you decide to add me.

A bit about the area of play I am exploring and why I am hoping to audit your class: I am looking to create graphite stamps for some of my glass blowing experiments. It’s possible I would need the multicam for some things I would like to accomplish, but I believe the shapeoko will do for most of it. Please let me know what you think. I appreciate your consideration.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to Talk!

I have inquired as to graphite epoxy composite machining at the Space, and been informed that it is not allowed. If you are referring to straight up graphite machining, I don’t believe there is a prohibition (people sharpen pencils there regularly).

“All this Science I don’t understand,
it’s just my job 5 days a week,
A Rocketman, a Rocketman”

Hello, thanks for the response. I have fine grain graphite that is usually used for electrodes in EDM applications. There’s no epoxy binder in this product. I have used it before on a CNC router, and it cuts like butter. I simply placed a vacuum next to the piece to handle any dust and it was very clean. Hope it’s not a restricted material. There would be so many cool applications for it in Glass and metal

Whoever makes the decisions on what can and cannot be machined on the Shapeoko should consider the potential for electrical damage to motors and circuit boards by the electrically conductive dust.

it is very important to have an adequate ventilation system to contain and vent the graphite dust and chips produced during the machining operations. Graphite dust is electrically conductive and will find its way into every crack or opening in a machine enclosure. Static electricity will draw the dust to circuit boards and create short circuits when the build up bridges contacts. Machining graphite on a CNC machine that has not been specifically modified to handle the graphite dust can lead to expensive damage and potentially void a warranty.> Blockquote
Also I have read that it dulls carbide tooling fairly quickly.

1 Like

It’s a good point, thank you. The pieces I am creating are small 2” or less and very easily can have a shop vac hose set next to the graphite during the routing to pull away the dust as I have done before. Very clean. As for the bits, I am intending to supply my own as to not interrupt any communal consumable bits.

1 Like