Shapeco Classes?

does anyone know if/when there are classes for the Shapeco CNC machine in the CA room? i have a project that need to be cut out on a small piece of rubber, and i don’t think that the CNC in woodshop will be able to work for what i need.

1 Like

if it is allowed, the lasers will also cut rubber depending on the thickness.

i don’t need cutting, what i need is engraving (trying to make a custom stamp). do the lasers engrave about 1/16 inch down?

@jphelps will be able to tell you for sure, but my instinct says that the Shapeoko may not be the appropriate tool for this.

any suggestions on an appropriate tools? i tried hand carving, but that didn’t work out.

I’ve made stamps on the zing with pretty good success. I think I used speedball rubber.

Our lasers will engrave rubber stamps.
The material MUST be a non-chlorine rubber intended for lasers.
If you’ve already purchased your material and it’s not specified as non-chlorine or laser-suitable, don’t use it on the laser. The off-gas will ruin our expensive lasers.

Our list of Go/No-Go Materials is here: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials

Happy lasering…and remember to take a picture and upload it to the Show And Tell thread!

2 Likes

Delrin can be used on laser, lots of high quality stamps made from this material.

2 Likes

Delrin is on the “Safe Materials” list with the following caveat worth covering:

Contains formaldehyde (a known carcinogen) in the smoke generated during cutting. Advisable to keep ventilation system running for a couple minutes after cutting to clear out all of the smoke.

1 Like

There’s a block printing class on the 16th. The ‘wood blocks’ mentioned in the class description can be done on the laser.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/4641

From the description: “Learn about the different substrates for carving and printing images such as linoleum, wood block, plastic erasers, styro-foam and cardboard.”

1 Like

lasers are a very common way to engrave rubber stamps.there is even a rubber stamp mode in the zing which creates prismatic letters.the thunders should easily engrave 1/16". If not - multiple passes.easy peasy.

1 Like

Shapeoko is a useful engraving machine but I think rubber is a difficult material to engrave with any kind of mill.

2 Likes

well okay then! looks like the consensus is lasers!