Sewing SIG Discussion

Could you refresh my memory on when we voted on the door please. I believe I’ve been at every meeting and I don’t remember the door being voted on. I was very surprised to see the door included in the plan.

haha. That is a discussion I did not start and cannot yet address. Thanks Bill :stuck_out_tongue:

I do not understand this statement. Sewing is under CA as are the other SIGs. If the Sewing Room is not capable of providing enough room for teaching, it should first expand into the rest CA before other rooms if possible. CA should not be restricting your access to teaching space. Now, you many be speaking of balancing it with other classes… but still. Balance.
@BarkingChicken @Edenblue

The door was in the final layout I handed out in Friday’s meeting. We talked about the door and even went to digital media room where I pointed out where the door will be installed.

I am not saying yes and I am not saying no.

The Education Committee does not have an answer on how we can best make use of the current CA room. If there is money to build a wall, we will make two classrooms resembling Purple with it. One will be the computer classroom and lab. The other is for general use.

However, the story continues to be that we do not have money for a wall, so we have no good answer.

I bring up the idea of a trade because it may be something which can benefit both committees. We have not discussed this idea because we did not know that the Sewing SIG was not totally happy with the room it got.

1 Like

for the record - I am fine CA being another large classroom :wink:

With regards to the door. It was an expansion discussion that I had with CA and sewing.
There are a lot of things to work out, but it’s good they voted for it. The next step should be submit the plan to education to get agreement. I would suggest the door have a window like the small woodshop door so you don’t have to open it to see if a class is in session.
Once there is agreement on the plan then submit it to expansion and the board.

The goal is to be facilitate setup for large sewing classes. The current layout means they have to bring large machines through CA and around to interactive. It will decrease setup and cleanup time to have the door as well as limit the risk of moving machines out through CA.

I don’t believe it was voted on. Shay would have to speak to that though. If this is an expense to CA it would definitely need to come to a vote.

Education should not be expected to pay for it.

I’m not saying you should, just saying I don’t believe we have voted on it and assume it’s a pretty big expense so we would need to vote on this.

We did not vote on it as a committee. I was told to talk about it during the SIG meeting and most at the meeting and those that can’t make it to the meeting think the door is a good idea.

I honestly don’t care too much for the door, especially if it will cost CA extra money that can be spent on equipment and supplies.

1. The door. To be clear for everyone else, the SIG voted that they would like the door to be added, that doesn’t mean it will be. As @MrJimmy stated it would need to go through CA to approve the expense and be approved by the Education Committee, Expansion Committee, and BOD. @aneres given the discussion in this thread I think it would be a good idea to drop the door. I’ve thought about it and am hesitant about committing funds to something so optional given that I’m sure there will be unexpected expenses due to the expansion.
  2. For clarity regarding classes. There is no problem with sewing holding classes in CA, however there are quite a few other SIGs vying to use that room for classes as well. SIGs with heavier equipment. We asked that all SIGs be cognizant that we are sharing that space and to not hog it for a whole day during prime weekend hours. Having said that, I’ve easily fit 6 sewing machines in the purple classroom for classes. It’s not even a tight fit.
  3. Regarding Sewing moving to another room. The goal has always been for Sewing to become its own committee, and I think that moving to a portion of the old CA room would help that (although, I’m not completely sure that it would give Sewing more room, I don’t have the measurements). To be clear, though, the current conference room is off limits. That room will already house the vinyl cutter, dye sublimation equipment, and potentially a wide format printer in the future. My question is, if sewing moved to another room what would happen to the old Digital media room? I presume it would be given to another committee?
  4. @aneres, I think that you’ve been given some good advice to hold off on making too many purchases until you get into the room. I understand you wanting to outfit everything as quickly as possible, but I agree that you’ve overestimated how much space is there to work with.
3 Likes

It shouldn’t be a problem having 6 machines in the current digital media room for classes. It will only be a problem when we have big projects that will require a cutting table and sewing area and people coming in wanting to use the space for personal projects and there are not enough space to work.

We have been holding off on buying equipments since Jan when I started teaching. I teach so we can have the funds, now that we have a budget and our own space we can’t make the needed purchases. We voted at the last two meetings to buy everything I listed. We are not buying everything on the list at once, everything will be bought in stages once we move in. How long would you like us to wait until we can make the purchases? Would you like us to wait until we expand again to buy what we need?

Wow, maybe a little less snark and a little more listening. I have had several people come to me and say that they are concerned about the room being overfilled. You have one person right here in this thread who has voiced the same concern. The suggestion is simply to get the stuff you have into the room and decide if you still want to buy what you had originally expected.

By the way, holding off since January has nothing to do with overfilling the room, it has to do with not having anywhere to store items until we moved. I get that you’re frustrated, but don’t take that out on the people trying to help you.

While the plan looks relatively okay, 4 sewing machines for a class makes the class very tight. You’ve only got 1 person’s worth of flexibility, and folks frequently forget that they’ve signed up for something, or may legitimately cancel. OTOH, maybe we could keep two of the Janomes (stored, not set up) for teaching classes. 4 just seems too close to the 3 minimum. I don’t know about you, but I prefer to get paid honorarium when I put a class on the schedule.

1 Like