Sewing Machine Help request

Hi all,
I need to do some heavy duty sewing that my little machine at home can’t handle. I’m making a medieval gambeson with multiple layers of linen (I think it ends up being 6-8 layers when it’s all folded over). Would anyone be around during an evening, and willing to show me how to use one of the DMS machines that can handle that?

I’ve got everything done except for actually sewing the panels together (attaching sleeves/fronts/back).

thank you

@dryad2b and some characters

Right now there are 2 choices – the older Pfaff machine, or the Thor. We currently only have leather needles for the Thor. And – measure your thickness. If it won’t fit under the foot, then it’s not do-able on the machines.

So a note: apparently there are a couple of lenghts of needles for the Pfaffen Beast. You need the longer ones or it will look like the timing is off. Found this out about 3+ years ago when sent in for repair.

The Thor has a deeper throat which may be helpful with the heavier build up of material.

Thanks, I’ll measure the thickness this evening. It sounds like the Thor is the recommended machine this time. Do you know what fabric needles the Thor machine is in need of? Doing as Google search with my lack of knowledge, it looks like needles are $10, but I want to make sure I purchase the correct ones.

Here’s the link with the machine specifics. We usually go to Sunny Sewing Machine 214-749-7991.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Tools#Sewing

1 Like