Sewing machine 101?

Are there ever any sewing machine classes? I haven’t used a sewing machine in years, and want to be able to use the machines at the space, but want to know that I won’t mess anything up before I touch them.

Thanks!

1 Like

@jrkriehn Judy is SIG leader, and can probably help you out…

2 Likes

Yeah! Welcome to the space! Can’t teach you the secret handshake yet, as I don’t know it myself, but…

Sewing machine use is a lot like a bicycle. You may have to get re-familiarized with the process, but then it all comes back.

Is there a timeframe you have in mind?
@cookiecody posts dog collar making and other simple projects on a fairly regular basis, and has often gotten people who have never touched a machine before up to speed and out the door with a finished project.
@dryad2b is at the space most afternoons and evenings, and with forewarning, may be able to clue you in on where stuff is in the sewing room and the key info needed to run the ZEST machines (threading, bobbin-winding and insertion, needle changing, stitch setting).

Same for me, @jrkriehn, when I’m there.
I was there three days in a row this week, so am trying to stay away the rest of the week. But am likely to fail that goal…

edit: corrected words that autocorrect garbled…
(damn that iPad touch keyboard…)

2 Likes

Astrud ( @print_witch ) teaches serger classes semi regularly, keep an eye out on the calendar for the next ones.