Sept 17th - Creative Arts Let's get our schedule together

I believe open house is simply vital to the ongoing growth of DMS and I’m willing to put time, money and sweat into making DMS look as presentable as possible for the public. I know we can accomplish quite a bit by working together That being said, I feel I delayed a bit in getting this complete - the schedule for the day according to Creative Arts. I would like active participation and a good showing of as many aspects of CA as possible. Please review the time and place and let me know what you would like to do, and what you would need to accomplish this goal.

@Rio - airbrush demo
@John_Marlow - embroidery and dye sub (demo/morning)
@bitta & @Webdevel - leather (to be decided)
@baileyfry @mreynolds vinyl cutting demo/sticker takeaway
@artnerdray - drawing workshop or possibly paint the small canvases we have (we can get more)

Sewing - not sure about how we can do this effectively with all the people to be honest.
Shapeoko - thinking about moving it into the warehouse because of all the people and noise.
Do we have someone who would be willing to man the screenprinting station in the morning?

Chime in!

2 Likes

I think painting the small canvases would be fun. Doing something like that would only take 30 minutes per person at the most. I’d be fine with doing that for 2 hours or so.

Morning or afternoon?

I will be there all day to help spruce up and help. What are you thinking with regards to vinyl stickers

The DMS calendar says the open house starts at 11, but this schedule shows it starting at 9?

I can do probably a couple of hours, maybe three in the morning, or the earlier part of the day. I have other plans for the afternoon and evening already.

I can do Key Fobs and Bracelets with stamped initials. Rather than dying the leather we can use antiquing gel that dries much quicker and can be ready to take away in very little time. It’s an easy come and go kind of thing to do. I can show some of the things we’ve made in classes I’ve taught as well.

Things I’d need to make Key Fobs and Bracelets

• Space on the bowling table. Maybe half the table? We’ll be doing a little pounding but not much.
  • Keyrings ($5.38 for 100 : Needs to be purchased)
  • Antique Gel ($5 Not sure if DMS has this already)
  • The Hand Press (DMS has one, but I have one I can bring so there are two)
  • Snap Setter (I can bring mine)
  • Rivet Setter (I can bring mine)
  • Strap Cutter (DMS + mine)
  • Leather (Needs to be purchased)
    - 1x Oak Leaf Double Shoulder 4/5oz would work fine ($85)

OR

- 1x Oak Leaf Side 4/5oz would be better for the price ($109)

I put in the extra time for setup - I just like to keep those things in the notes I like to keep - I’ve noted it now. Thanks for letting me know.

Could we think of something we could make out of the scrap leather? $100 isn’t much but if we can think of ways to do this a bit cheaper it would be better. Let’s talk it out. I would like control costs like the penny pincher I am.
I marked you down for a 3hr slot. I figured if you don’t want to stay the 3 hrs you could tag out and let someone else in.

1 Like

We have line 20 snaps and the hand press dies to set them. We don’t have any antiquing gel on hand. If you’re going to have them stamp damp, will the gel stick? We have both natural and black veg tan remnants in the scrap bins if any of that might work, but a lot of it is pretty small weird pieces. Maybe instead of a fob or bracelet, just let them try stamping on scrap shapes? Also, we had a big donation of the large 3d stamps from Nick that might come in handy for this. We do have two ram’s feet to use with them. Last year, the materials cost was why we opted to just demo leather stuff that could be made at the space, rather than a hands-on project and that went fine.

You know I really don’t know. A good pile of stickers for takeaway would be nice - cut up the majority of that scrap @MellissaRhodes was talking about wanting that to happen. I think a demo of the machine would be nice. Possibly you show off your yetis and talk to the peps about how you use the tools at DMS to accomplish them? I know you will have your son with you and you guys are going to dominate the pinewood - so you let me know what your schedule would look like.

1 Like

The Line 20 snaps are way too big for small item, but if the idea is to demo the actual tools available, then the scrap will work fine. I thought the idea was to have something people could walk away with.

@uglyknees put me down as a Maybe and from 11-1. I can probably commit to that, but not to 2. I’ll be more certain about my availability in about a week.

I would like them to walk away with something and I would like to demo the tools we have on hand but I would like to see if we can do that by using the scrap. You guys talk and brainstorm and we will talk about it. I absolutely want to highlight the medium because I think it’s so very interesting and so many people will be surprised we have it.

We will be there all day, minus time for eating etc.

I figure if they are take aways, that aside from adding our logo i could add “motivational” words and such.

Inspire, create, educate, and so forth

1 Like

@mreynolds, was thinking of vinyl stickers made out of all the colors Nicole is trying to get rid of. Just the logo, our name, and/or our “Make. Educate. Inspire.” – that’s what’s on our business cards.

I also wanted to get a design for buttons for people to make for the day. I had a template for the the 1 inch buttons that I made for our outside PR events that people could color/draw inside of then cut out but was thinking of something like “I’m a Dallas Maker.” I dunno. I’m running out of time. :frowning:

I’ll be working on Open House stuff all day this Saturday.

2 Likes

I would be glad to do a sewing demo with little pouches people could take home if they want them. I can do it on the basic machine and POTENTIALLY on the serger once I get a little more practice.

I’m sure there are way better people than me at this, but if you need to fill space I would be glad to help.

Sure thing! I will be there tonight so will knock together the design per the business card :slight_smile:

Any left overs we can give out at slingfest

1 Like

This is what I understand

1 Like