SEO (search engine optimization) and building an online business class

Hey all thought this would be interesting and wanted to see if there were any takers. I was thinking of putting a class together for all the smaller business folks to better understand SEO (search engine optimization). For those that don’t know this is the science of ensuring your business get recognized by search engines like google and ranked as a top website for your product to drive business. I will cover Google AdWords, Google my business, google local listings, social media presence, key word optimization, site content strategy, domain authority, MOZ score, backlinks, metatags, geotagging and image compression, hosting and more I will also discuss some basics of website construction and some good tools (some free) to help drive your business and get you where you want to go. This has been a hobby and passion of mine and it is a science/ art form to do correctly. SEO is super spendy and it is something many can do themselves oftentimes better than many companies. We will also go over some advantages of outsourcing work to fiver. I thought this class would also help keep young business from falling into traps and contracts by less than reputable companies.

7 Likes

I’d definitely be interested if it’s online/virtual/zoom. I don’t watch the calendar closely so keep updates here and I’ll sign up for sure.

1 Like

There was a member here who taught lots of small-business development classes like this.

The rumor is that he made so much money from his honorariums that the board changed its policies in ways that induced him to quit offering his classes (and his membership).

I tell you this only to suggest that you clear this in advance (and personally) with the DMS folks who approve classes/honorariums. It might be a sensitive subject.

2 Likes

They were also extremely well attended, repeatedly by the same individuals wanting to absorb as much information as possible.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up David. I’m not looking to make money but I see it is sensitive. I do pretty good with that on my own with the three companies I run. I am just looking to fast forward some folks that need help and capitalize on the lessons I have learned some the hard way. The other classes I have taught I just give back to the departments etc. was lookin to do the same.

2 Likes

And he was a really nice guy, as well.

2 Likes

would love to take this!

Are you familiar with Amazon PPC, EBay Cassini? I have no idea how to do market research on Etsy. Have you done anything with Pinterest?

I would really love to take this course! I actually work at a digital marketing agency, but we usually outsourse SEO. I’m also looking to start my own small business, so I’d love to pick up any information I can.

1 Like

What’s your business? Are you on one of the platforms or Shopify?

Still in the brainstorming process of it all and learning some skills before launching so it’s a while out. I wanted to make custom greek products (paddles, shirts, etc.) for sororities and fraternities. I was part of one in college and still have a great connection with the org, so I figured it was a great way to put my membership at DMS to use! Still learning a lot of tools and everything before launching. I’d probably end up on Shopify.

Honestly that sounds like it would be less risk on Etsy.

1 Like

Could you explain why it would be less risk?

You have to pay $30ish a month on Shopify, where you have to pay $0.20 to post an item initially on Etsy + final fee after sale. If you are doing large volumes then it would make sense to do Shopify.

2 Likes

Yep. Those were great classes.

1 Like

Yes the Etsy and amazon platforms are great for product companies but not really true SEO. For service companies Facebook, google, and yelp depending on the category and objective. I want help folks understand placement organic vs purchased traffic.

2 Likes

Please add me to the interested list.

I would also be interested.

Yes, I am looking for something like this. Would be online or F2F class?

Be careful with the Greek products. There are HUGE licensing cost involved and many annual fees to be able to produce products. College and Greek trademarks are big business.
Check out https://greeklicensing.com/

1 Like